Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon River report #2

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Gseries69 
#1 ·
Well the Salmon are just about played out so the river is a little "friendlier" these days. I Had a good day the weekend before last swinging woolybuggers on a sink tip. Hooked 4 but didn't land any, it's a hard river to land a fish on with a spey rod especially against the brush. Last weekend the weather and water turned cold and so did the steelhead. Managed one good fish following a fellow spey caster through a run. It was just as nice to experience stream etiquette as it was to land that fish. I’ve heard talk of some nice browns being hooked but my best was only 10”, feisty little guy all colored up for fall.

#7 ·
I'm not sure when I will be back there. But a get together w/ board members is always a good time. Juro, John, Bill.............????? anyone, anyone, bueller.....anyone? :D
I know Todd will go next Spring when mended! ;)
I'd recommend the 1880's house....rent the whole place from Linda. :D

#10 ·
Fished the Salmon on Thursday and Friday. Upper river on Thursday was an absolute zoo. We hooked up 8 times and landed one very nice steelhead. Friday we looked for quieter water where we could swing flies so headed to the lower river below Trestle Pool. Found some good swinging water and got in some great spey casting practice but that's about it. Fri nite we headed to Buffalo and fished a small trib on Sat. Water was low and clear but we saw hundreds of steelhead. Water was too small to swing flies so we used single handed rods and landed 8 nice steelhead and hooked up several more times.

Count me in for the spey clave if it happens. If not I would love to meet up with someone willing to take on a beginner.

#12 ·
Just to follow up on last weekends trip Saturday was a good day 4 tugs and 2 fish landed both bright and full of pep. Sunday one tug all day and only on for a few moments. Weather was fantastic but so were the crowds, lots and lots of people. Tried looking for clear water down river which we found but no fish.

#13 ·
Trestle used to be a total zoo - I'm amazed to hear you found clear water to swing the long rods there. The inside bank (river right) down to the tail out sure strikes me as swing water. Been a while since I've been down there. Also there were fish and no people downstream from Altmar about a 1/2 mile hike from the road; I landed a 15'er in there one year. Nothing like the pacific northwest for me but the ability to drive there is appealing.

BTW - post some pics! Of the river and fish.

#15 ·
Juro
the tailouts of the bigger pools offer opportunities. The trestle in winter (walk or snowshoe in) is my favorite. Pools and runs in the fly zones, the corner pool, papermill pool, most of Douglaston present good water. The area from Ellis cove downstream to the Trestle/Ordwell brook confluence can be remote and good fishing. The pics I put up were from the Paradise Pool in the upper fly zone. Yup it was crowded....but a civilized bunch. 15 or so hookups and 3 to the net. (biggest about 12 lbs =not a bad day)
When I was younger (fitter) I would snowshoe to the remote areas in January/Feb. Very peaceful, quiet, and good fishing.
Every year there are more crowds....but where else can you have a good chance of a trophy fish....so close to the major population centers.

I guess you just have to pick your days and play the odds. :D

#17 ·
Heading back the weekend of Dec 3rd. Hoping to get an open date with Greg Liu to shorten the learning curve and plan to fish Mon and possibly Tues so we don't have to deal with the crowds as much.

For folks who don't like the crowds and want to learn to swing flies, I would consider a trip to Michigan. The Muskegon and Manistee are excellent swinging waters for beginners and I found it to be quite affordable. Both rivers are fished from a boat and don't require super long casts to get into fish. We used Kevin Feenstra and Matt Zudweg. Had a great time.

Once the casting improves a bit a trip to the Northwest or BC goes on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.