Underbody Flat Waxed nylon
Upper weave Small Kerinik braid Black
Bottom weave spooled antron
feelers 20lb dacron backing
eyes nymph beed
Wing case flat ribbon
hackel large webbey saddle
dubbing black angroa

I fish this fly as you would a wet fly on the swing.

See less See more
#6 ·
Aaron,

These are wicked flies, which would work equally well on a hook like Alec's spey hook, the Partridge Bartleets, or Veverka's low-water hook. Perhaps we should ban them from our local waters as they obviously provide the fisher using them with an advantage.

I think I'm going to tie some with cross-cut black rabbit as thorax and hackle. I'll just cut is flush with the top of the body to keep the wing cast postitioned properly, and then leave the rabit strip full length on the sides and bottom.

#7 ·
Summer fly

flytyer

The thing I have found out using the Waddington Shanks is I do not have to build the underbody up.
In the past I have been using the Grant underbody to get the Ovated shape I wanted.
The Shank with it’s parallel wires dose away with that step and the added bounce of using large hooks to Parrproof your flies.
For some of my own flies I use Gun brush made out of Rabbit instead of the hackle and dub routine.

Let me know how you Idea works.

I fish these on the swing with a twich , they really get slammed just yank and run.

#8 ·
Aaron,

That is exactly how I was planning to fish the variant of your fly that I described. Instead of using the Grant technique, I'm going to use a trick Al Troth showed me when I lived in Montana that he used with the Potts flies like the Brown Bears or Mites. He used several strands of embrodiery floss for the bottom stripe, and that made all the difference in the width and depth of the body.

Instead of embrodiery floss, I'm going to use between 4 and 7 strands of antron or Z-lon for the bottom stripe.

This fly of yours has it all: color saturation, illusion of bulk, subtle veiling of the bright color, and movement.

#9 ·
flytyer

Good point.
I have used multi-strands of materials for both the top and bottom on some patterns such as my Peeping Caddis.
That pattern I used 8 strands of flat-waxed nylon for the top and 4 for the bottom.
By using multi strand so different color flosses your get variegation during the weaving process.
Adding a single strand of blending filament or crystal flash you can get ever so many variations to the theme where no two will be the same.
I have been using some of the three-strand silk yarn and variegated yarn out of it by unfurling it replacing the segments with different colors and retwining it.

#12 ·
Fred???????????????????

Doubles or Waddington or maybe both??????
Is R. B. Meiser going to be around that way.
I promised him couple and if I send to you.
Could you see that he gets them.
I will send yours in the same box.
:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.