Fly Fishing Forum banner

Crooked River OR

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mitch 
#1 ·
Well over the next few days I'll be leaving the computer as well as the 10 weight in Mass. for a rendevous with the beautiful rock climbing cliffs of Smith Rock and the equally beautiful rainbows residing upstream of the cliffs in the Crooked river. I wonder how difficult the transition from 10 to 4 weight is going to be.

I have made this trip every year for the last 6 and I start looking forward to the next one on the drive home. The rock climbing is world class and IMHO so is the trout fishing. About six years ago I read a report in a local fishing magazine that told of some increadable number of trout per mile (8,000 I think) and I had to go. However many trout there are in the river I have come to expect fifty fish days with most being between 9 - 12 inches and a sprinkling of 15 - 20 inchers to make things interesting. This is also the place where I had my weirdest fly fishing experience. (See my post "the weirdest thing...")

When I get back I'll post a report and if I can find a way I will post a pic or two of the gorgeous high desert scenery. Until then save a few stripers for me and think good weather for the Monomoy Clave.

#2 ·
Sounds fascinating... can't wait to see the images. (Let me know if you need any help putting them up). As you know I just love that part of the country. An annual pilgrimage to somewhere like that really broadens the angling year, eh?

Safe travels and enjoy yourself, as I know you will!

#4 ·
Never fished on the Crooked River, but have on many rivers on the Western side of Oregon. Trout really are everywhere around there. I remember catching Cutts in what only looked like little puddles of streams. Bows are mainly what I caught, although a seven mile hike from the McKenzie pass will put you into some higher-elevation lakes that team with Browns.
As for the transition from #10 to #4: I did it the other way around. I liken it to driving the two vehicles I have. I drive a full size Chevy 4X4, but sometimes I have to drive my wife's Honda Accord. I just have to remember to soften up my steering as well as my accelerator.
The biggest thing I have to overcome while in Oregon is convincing myself that I am no less a man for having someone else pump gas in my truck (it's the law :).
Take care and have fun in the sales-tax-free state.
Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.