Fly Fishing Forum banner

Possible to 'refirbish' Goretex rain gear?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NrthFrk16 
#1 ·
My 'beloved' Goretex rain parka now lets in about as much water as it keeps out. Not seam leaks, just water seeping through. Suggestions on how to 're-new' the coat without dropping $200 for a new one?:(

#3 · (Edited)
...Fred...
I've used Revive-X with reasonably good results...
Take the clean garment out of the washer and while still damp/wet spray liberally and toss it in a hot dryer. It will make the outer shell much more water repellent...worth a try...or...
If the jacket is a Cabela's or Bean's or (?) you may be able to cut a deal and trade it in...
'Hard to be happy when you're cold and wet! (unless you're fishing!)

#4 ·
fred - follow the washing instruction for the coat. The largest contributor of the breakdown of the waterproofing is dirt.

I recently washed my duckhunting jacket (considered sacralege by most) and it was restored to as good as new condition.

If washing doesn't work, try the reccomended spraw stuff REI in Reading or Framingham carry the stuff, I 'm sure a lot of other places do too.

good luck

#6 ·
...Fred...
Here's the deal...off the ReviveX box...
W.L. Gore & Associates
P.O. Box 1488
Elkton, MD 21922
(800) 455-4184 (USA)
www.gorefabrics.com

I got my bottle from EasternMountainSports (www.ems.com) but I would suspect any large supplier like REI or (?) would have it or could get it. The 10 oz bottle runs $20. (sticker shock) but it's done a good job on an old jacket and I've got enough for maybe two more applications.
Cheers!

#8 ·
Fred, try Hilton's Tent City on Friend St.(right across the street from the Fleetcenter) for Nikwax products.

Also, be careful of the waterproofing products that you "wash" into your gore-tex garments in the washing machine. They do a great job restoring the waterproof nature of the garment, but, they also waterproof the inside which compromises the breathability.

The spray that Pete recommended is by far the best treatment. What you should do is buy the Nikwax washing solution that gently cleans the dirt off the jacket. Then you douse it with the waterproofing spray and throw it in the dryer.

This treatment has helped prolong the life of my Marmot jacket. It's served me well from Alaska to Ireland, and, I have not been gentle with it.

~Mark

#11 · (Edited)
We are a small but mighty group!! And don't you forget it!!

"We must do what we must do".:p

Not many of us (example: more folk driving around in the 5 Bay Counties in Calif. than live (no kidding) right now than live in the southern 2/3'rds of Oregon. But that's why I can go to a 'hot spot' and have the darn thing to my self. Interesting to live in this area and be "emotionally envolved" in fly fishing.

This past weekend (feeder streams/creeks feeding a ton of nasty water) "all" of us were forced into the top couple of miles of water. Probably a grand total of 20'ish folk?

Life is good, and don't move here and screw up my 'good deal.':D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.