Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tuna permits

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Anyone know if you need a permit to target baby bluefin? It may be that you need a permit just to fish for them even if you don't plan on keeping one. Check out the Regs here: http://www.nmfspermits.com/

I didn't see anything about C&R on there.

Word is the EPO are going to be cracking down on people without permits, because so many have been targeting them.

$10k per fish fine without a permit. :whoa:

If I am able to land one we're talking big time sushi
:D

#2 ·
C&R no - with a rec license you can keep 4.

Jim, if needed you can borrow my 14 weight & my 325 & 525 lines, see which ones work for you to cast - does your lamson hold enough backing? I'd loan you my reel but, it's a loaner as well.

We just polished off steaks & sushi from a 1/4 of a baby blue that a friend dropped off 3 days ago. Neighbors are happy as well :D

Roop

#4 ·
Try this:

Current Atlantic Tunas Recreational Baglimits
The current recreational daily bluefin tuna retention limit is FOUR fish per vessel, measuring 27 to less than 73 inches curved fork length. (Subsequent changes to the daily retention limit will be announced on this web site. Angling category vessels in all areas are also allowed one large medium or giant "trophy" bluefin (measuring 73 inches curved fork length or greater) per vessel per fishing year. All bluefin must be reported by calling (888) 872-8862, visiting the www.nmfspermits.com website, or in Maryland and North Carolina, to the nearest reporting station. For North Carolina reporting station locations, call 1-800-338-7804; for Maryland reporting station locations, call (410) 213-1531. The Angling category yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length.

#5 ·
Roop,
I wasn't questioning your interpretation of the rules. Actually I was testing the embedded image capabilities of the board software for work. The checkmark gif seemed harmless enough at the time, but I can see how this would easily be misconstrued as a verb. That's a great summary of the rules.
I think I will keep all 4:hehe: Right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.