Fly Fishing Forum banner

Blue Water Fly Rods

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Any body tried the Lamiglass Grand Bluewater 15 wt.
How about any other rod recomendations.

#3 ·
Another option is Graphite-USA.

They have a 15 weight that casts surprisingly well + it's so strong you can put a MAJOR hurting on fish with it, land them & release them.

Nothing worse then catching big fish on too light gear. :rolleyes:

PM me if you want some links.

Roop

#4 ·
Do any of you guys know which bluewater flyrod is the strongest, meanest pulling stick available? (#20, 7', glass/graphite composite would be ideal). I want to use it for yellowfin tuna in 100lb range, with heavy 40-50lb tippets. Casting ability not that important.

#5 ·
Hi Natrix,

I´m Jose from Spain, two months ago I bought a Lamiglas grand bw #15. Tried in Gibraltar Straits, had two strikes of big white marlin but no catch at all. My impression is that is a big stick with casting performance. Good finish and still light enough for spending a day after big fish. In january I´ll test with giant tarpon at Bijagos archipielago in Guinea. My article of this place is just published at Wild on the Fly magazine. For me this rod is a very good option for bw big fish. Regards,

Jose

#6 ·
TFO have a new composite glass/graphite Bluewater rod just going into production. No hundreds yet, but one field tester landed 14 YFT to 65 lbs. in a single day with it and the new TFO Hayden reel. Tester reported that he actually tried to break the rod, but could not get it to snap.

Both rod & reel combined will sell for less $$ than a single high-end rod. The rod will cast anything from 12 to 15-weights.

Jay Horton
Advisory Staff
Temple Forks Fly Rods

#7 ·
I'll confirm the quality of Biscayne bluewater rods. Mine is more than ten years old and still works better than anything I've tried. I don't think they're all that expensive either. My backup is a Cam Sigler which is now available as a 4 piece. I've heard good things about the current TFO Bluewater models, so the new one should be even that much better. For such a small niche in a small market, it's amazing how many fine bluewater rods there really are. Nobody has even mentioned Cape Fear, another incredible rod, but not one designed for the traveling angler.

#9 · (Edited)
I have one of the new TFO bluewater ( and blue blank) offshore rods. We had a wide-open yellowfin bite about a month back, and that rod got 7 or 8 fish in the 50-70 lb class without putting up much of a sweat. I had it paired with a TFO Hayden reel which held up fine, but threw tons of brake dust all over the insides. It was a chummed-up bite, so the casts were short, but the rod worked admirably lifting the fish up. It wasn't a bit overmatched by a 70 lb yellowfin in that last, vertical 50' lift. I actually tried to high-stick the rod, but it simply bent into a 'U" and kept on lifting. I think it's a glass-carbon composite rod, and that accounts for some of its' toughness.
It balanced well with a 625 lb Cortland fast-sink head, although I broke the line once right near the leader knot.

The other rod I really like is a Redington 15 wt DFR - also a glass rod. It also matches well to a 600 gr head and is very hard to break. I don't think it's made any more, but I found it a wonderful offshore fly rod. It also landed its' fair share of fish that day, paired with a Pate Bluefin reel. I think our total for the day was 14 or 15 yellowfin.
A 12 wt T&T was completely overmatched by one of these fish, i.e. it couldn't do anything but maintain a tight line until the fish dies, and then winch it it. We tried it on one fish, and then put it away.

PS: On second reading, I confess to being the 'tester' Jay mentions.

#11 ·
The problem with the Sage is that you cannot make a mistake when using one. I've seen several 3-piece Sages become 5-piecers in a second. They do cast a little nicer, but they just don't tolerate mistakes when fighting a fish, especially a large fish where one tends to get tired.

#13 ·
I believe Bill Harris sold all of his gear and quit fishing--have not seen him in years around Cape Lookout.

I have had great luck with Sage XI2 1480-4 plenty of sails and one 200lb+ Pacific blue marlin all on 20 pound tippet. If you want to use over 20 pound check out the new 1680-4---taking one with me me Costa Rica in March

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.