Body: Pearl braid
Collar: Yellow Bucktail
Wing: Apple green bucktail
Cheeks: purple-ish pink,5 hairs
Eyes: Jungle Cock

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Fouling is a problem w/ a casting style, not the design of the fly. Slow down and open up your loop and the fly will not foul. A flatwing is designed to be fished close, Not cast to the horizon and two handed stripped back in. It is a different type of fishing than most saltwater fly fisherman are familiar with. More like trout fishing in a river.

#4 ·
Mike- Another great fly and it will work here in RI when the water gets really cloudy like it usually does in the late spring afte a heavy rain.
Now for my question- have you ever tried Abrames' soft hackle style of flies; ie., the "change-up" or Hunky's? I have and in fact the change up listed in Ken's first book is the fly that got me started tying flatwings. I have since found that by adding a flat tied hackle to the wing position of one of these flies you can get a broader profile to imitate the smaller bunker we get in Narragansett Bay in August till just about the end of the season.
I start with the basic colors of Hunky's finest and add an olive gray saddle(short) to just cover the body wraps and provide some color contrast to the dorsal side of the fly. This was the first one I tried and in one hour went thru all 6 that I had tied- the blues wouldn't leave them alone and were even cutting the steel leader. Since that nite I have tried different colors but generally use the same color for the "wing " as the top hackle of the "tail".
I wish I could post pictures but not yet.
Just some food for thought till the weather decides to break- I'm getting tired of all the cold. Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.