Fly Fishing Forum banner

simple question

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
Why do salmon flies get tied on hooks with an upturned eye?

#2 ·
I have some on downturned eyes, mostly streamer types and dries. My only theory would be it makes a straighter connection when you use a turle knot. Every guide I've ever had has used a turle and lock against turned eyes and clinch knots with straight eyes.

-Chris

#4 ·
I agree with both answers from a personal perspective. I fish turles, double turles for light tippets and love the traditional look of a loop eye hook on a salmon fly.

The thru-and-wrap style knots are also incredibly strong. In life-saving when clutching someone's hand we are instructed to clutch opposing wrists, not grasp the victims fingers. The eye design and complementary knot makes a lot of sense and there are times when fishing for other species that I wish I had that advantage.

#7 ·
Malcolm's got it. Tradition is the reason, although some claim it is aesthetically more appealing the have them tied on up looped eye hooks. However, the best hooks from a hooking and hook holding standpoint would be either straight looped eye (or ringed eye), or blind eye with a braided mono or dacron loop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.