Fly Fishing Forum banner

bendup instead of bendback

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
This a fly I developed last winter and tested this past season with the help of my clients in order to work out the bugs.
In seeking a hookup fly with a larger and deeper profile I started reshaping the hooks I was using, and through an evolutionary process I ended up bending the hooks up instead of back.
The main advantage of bentup hooks over bend back is the hookup rate increases. With bendback hooks you decrease the effective hook gap when you bend the point down toward the hook shank which decreases your hookup rate. When you bend the hook up you actually increase the hook gap. As you tighten your line to set the hook, the bend acts as a lever to open the hook gap up to its full potential.
There are two things that need to be done to reshape a hook to bend up. First you must bend the shank in the proper place and at the proper angle for the baitfish you are trying to imitate (this is varyable). Second you must open the bend of the hook(by squeezing with a pair of pliers) so the point is parralell to the new hook shank(this was the main bug that had to be worked out),if this step is not done you will lose many hookups. As with any hookup fly, do not cover the hook point with too much material.
With this style I have found that most fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth or in the lips. My clients have caught as many as seven bluefish on the same fly with out being cut off using a 12# tippet.

Capt Stan Mackerwicz

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Capt Stan,

I like your fly. It seems that bending the hook your way is somewhat akin to using a jig hook, except you have an extra bend to open the gap. Do you wrap lead wire on the lower part of the hook shank? It seems this would be necessary to keep the fly riding hook point up.

Dick

#4 ·
Dick, Lead wire is not necessary to make this fly swim with the hook point up. If you notice the photo you will see that most of the material is above the hook. This creates a drag similar to an underwater parachute with the hook being the weight hanging below, the only way this fly can swim is with the hook point up.
I do however add lead wire to this fly when I want to fish it deeper. I hope I answered your question.

#7 ·
Thanks Smitty and Capt Stan!

A most excellent evening "class" at the Rod Builders Workshop...
Capt Stan kindly supplied all the ingredients and walked us through the tying procedures...(see attachment)
We all got to do the good Capt's hook-up and conventional style...

Capt Stan's knowledge is beyond reproach and his enthusiasm is highly contageous...Smitty had to go beddy bye early to accommodate an early hunting engagement but his hospitality was most noteworthy and appreciated by everyone!
ThankYouBIG!:D

No one got hurt and the general public was never in danger!:whoa:

Attachments

#11 ·
Rod Builders Workshop...and MORE!

Call Commander Smitty @ Rod Builders Workshop...
(781) 582-1015
Capt Stan returns for the sequal Thurs 11 Dec @ 1900 (7pm)

The bus leaves at 7, DON'T BE UNDER IT! :tsk_tsk:

Attachments

#12 ·
Given enough bananas...

Capt Stan can have primates tying in no time...I'm proof of that!

Here's a sand lance from the "bunker" using his techniques/tricks:

Attachments

#13 ·
In an effort to learn more about this flyfishing and especially fly tying thing , I attended Stan's class last night at Smitty's.

Very impressed with his ability to convey the techniques used to tie this fly. Definitely learned a lot more attending the class then trying to just tie it based upon what you see in the photo. He has some great tricks.

Defiitely going to be in my fly boxes this season.

Many thanks - Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.