Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Commerical Fly line cleaner

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Soap and water?

Votes: 9 60.0%

Fly line cleaner

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
As a general rule, what kind of fly line cleaners do most of you use! Like do any of you use WD-40 or Armor All or the like! Do these mess up your lines or are they OK to clean lines with....:rolleyes:

#6 ·
fly line cleaners

Thanks you guys. I too use the soap and water when I have been in salt but have just used the armor all when I come back off fresh water! Then use a commerical line dressing!

#8 ·
I also use soap and water to clean, then Russ Peak's line dressing. 2 points: 1) Use a very mild soap - not detergent. Many detergents are too harsh and can deprive lines of their integral "lubricants". 2) Don't use too much dressing. I rub it into the line, sparingly, let it dry and then buff it out. I clean and dress my lines often, depending on use: more often after full day's fishing on spring creeks, or salmon fishing. Less often for tarpon, where the line doesn't spend that much time in the water.

#9 ·
After each outing I do a fresh water rinse (No Soap), then I pull the line through a cotton rag (squeezing tight) & leave the line in loose coils on the carpet until dry. You'd be surprised at the Dark Line you get by pulling it through the rag, especially after fishing in Murky water. I use a Comm. dressing (those Cortland Felt Pad Dealies) a few times per season.

#12 ·
I also you soap and water and a commercial fly dressing.
I like the little plastic boxes with a felt lining and slots in the ends for applicating it. When you pull the line through it, the resistence of the foam and holding the box closed on it does a real nice job of gettting the memory out of your line.

#13 ·
Oh John! It is difficult to convey sarcasm with the written word and you do it so well. ;) I've never been acused of being a neat freak - just take a look at the bed of my truck, heck, look at the front seat!

Just for the record, that reel did get a freshwater bath after 80 - 90 percent of it's outings it's just made of really poor materials for a saltwater reel. That's what you get when you spend twenty some odd dollars for a reel. It still caught some nice fish though!

#16 ·
You're supposed to clean your reels too???:p

Gregg, the best part of that reel was the rod it was attached to, duct tape and all. Boneclave I, Rhodeyfest I, that whole first year I used the same make and model rod. It's my backup now. You're a folk hero to me. Awesome fishing accomplished on cheap gear. Looking forward to another year(your camp cookin ain't to shabby either ;) ).

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.