Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spring Clave Dates?

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Guernseybass 
#1 ·
That time of year again....I've got a call group meeting Friday night to plot out my group's on call schedule through the spring/early summer, so thought I'd raise the subject of dates for the Spring Clave....any thoughts?
Flydoc

#3 ·
Spring Clave

Those dates are a lot better than last years in relationship to Memorial Day. Is the "Stone Horse" now out of business or being operated by another name and by others? What about the one that was next door to Stone Horse, is it still operating ? Will need names of possible places to stay and some of the 'locals' can determine gathering spot as time progresses.

Pete Readel

#4 ·
Handkerchief Shoals is alive and kicking, in fact renovated and a great choice. House rental option is very good as the guys will tell you but requires a little more planning and coordination.

ALSO - recent tides / storms have the Chatham Inlet encroaching on the lighthouse beach / south beach ast Big Girl. The ponds are now a bay and the old corner is all but isolated from the beach again. There is one tall bluff line stopping the atlantic from reaching the tub... pray for big nor'easters thru the rest of the winter... BIG nor'easters.

#8 ·
Even if the inlet could not eat thru the bluffs to the tub, having the ponds grow as a giant bowl would be a huge plus for lighthouse beach anglers. With the outflow of the inlet magnified by the Nauset cut flow churning twice a day on the new unstable forms it's bound to make Big Girl a tide by tide adventure to read and learn over the summer and potentially a migratory fish weir in spring.

#9 ·
Had a look last Thursday before the storm and the ponds were still there but looked vunerable. Pic in the cape cod times a couple of weeks ago showed a stretch of Nauset down to peat. With all the transport of sand from the north it's hard to believe we'll ever get a long duration breach of south beach. But it's nice to fantisize about breaches and seal pandemics.

#10 ·
One things for sure it's very different now than it was last week which is again nothing like the fall which barely resembled the spring... so when the migration hits let's hope for something really good in 2010.

On another note, we could do the Friday around the ditch as "JF Basser Day". The migration has been really strong thru the ditch (and Sandwich etc). Then convene Friday night at the elbow for Monomoy refuge, back beaches and bayside sorties not to mention the Sat night feed. I can host the barbeque at my place this year, which is stumbling distance to the Squire :D

#11 ·
Hi Guys,

Looks like I got lucky this year as the potential Clave dates coincide with my trip over to the Cape. I arrive on Friday May 21st around 1500 on the Cape so I hope to be able to join up with you if thats ok with everyone. I missed coming to Cape Cod in 2009 but am now back I hope to my annual trip schedules. I have really missed seing some of you guys on my travels.
I was in Montauk in Oct 2009 and the South shore was filled with bass if only barley keeper size and less. but the dawn bite was excellent as was the dusk and night time fishing on the fly. Lets hope the Spring run is strong this year on the Cape.

I don't know if this helps but the Old Landings Motel might be a possible place to stay. The Owner David is very Angler friendly. The rooms are large and also inexpensive. Address is 15 Sea Street Dennis port. You can google up to. I have stayed there as has Stevo, AKA "Binksey"

Mike

#19 ·
surfs up... great shot...

I never realized the beach and ocean was that "tilted" in Wellfleet...?!
What keeps all the water on the right high side from flowing the left low side?:confused:

#21 ·
Hope to catch you guys at the Clave, but it appears that I will be up a good bit starting Memorial Day Weekend. If anyone is up on Easter Weekend and wants to do a "tour" of new breaks, mindless casting-just cuz it feels appropriate...., (or needs a beer...)let me know- Spring Cleanup is fast approaching...,
Cheers,
Rooster

#22 ·
juro said:
One things for sure it's very different now than it was last week which is again nothing like the fall which barely resembled the spring... so when the migration hits let's hope for something really good in 2010.

On another note, we could do the Friday around the ditch as "JF Basser Day". The migration has been really strong thru the ditch (and Sandwich etc). Then convene Friday night at the elbow for Monomoy refuge, back beaches and bayside sorties not to mention the Sat night feed. I can host the barbeque at my place this year, which is stumbling distance to the Squire :D
JF Basser Day at the canal sounds great, unfortunatly the tide is not going to cooperate for the best 2 hand conditions, a 5:30 am high to start for those who like to fish pre dawn is not ideal.Then again a early meeting for breakfast then hit the canal around 8:00-8:30 could be a great way to kick off the weekend.We could hit some of the bay side creeks as we head to chatham if the canal does'nt produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.