Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Ryder this weekend???

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
Just checked weather report- winds from N/NNE- moderate wind for Saturday with clouds/occ shower, but things picking up overnight to 20-30 mph winds for Sunday.
Keith- any thoughts as to what your schedule will be? I know Warren is planning a trip for Sunday.
Flydoc

#3 ·
I suggest that you guys look out of the window the morning you plan on going. I went to the Chatham area yesterday to fish a couple of spots in Pleasant Bay....BECAUSE the forecast the night before and at 4 a.m. was for fog till 11, 50% chance of drizzle/light rain and 90% cloud cover. I figured that that would be a great day to blind cast.
Well.....fog lifted by 7 a.m.....had 50% sun, no rain, no drizzle...hot as hell. On the way to the Cape I tuned into a Hyannis radio station....at 5:30 they said what was previously predicted...at 6 then said a "mix of clouds and sun with rain possibly in the evening.
Frustrating!!!! They can't predict 4 hrs ahead.
Thanks for the opportunity to vent :)
Ron

#4 ·
One of the biggest problems is inconsistency between different sources of weather reports, compounded by the ever-changing reports from each source (as evidenced by Paxton's post)....I have the luxury of living here, so I can go whenever I'm not working/on duty.... but other guys have to drive several hours to get here (and in some cases book lodging ahead of time), so for them it's a big issue. I know we can't control the weather, but you'd think with all the technology they'd do a better (and more consistent) job of predicting it for at least the next 48 hrs or so....:frown:
Flydoc
P.S.- The weather service Keith's site links to is predicting possible afternoon showers and NE winds of 14-17 for Sunday, while Yahoo is predicting possible daytime showers and NNE winds of 20-30. I have heard Keith say he always adds about 5-10 mph to whatever the weather service says the wind will be, as in his experience they typically underestimate the windspeed....

#5 ·
Ron's right,
A lousy day at work has turned me into a grumpy (emphasis on grumpy) 'ole pessimist. You all know how reliable our weather forecasters are.:roll: :roll:

I'll Drive out Sunday morning regardless. I am staying in Seekonk Saturday night so it is not that far of a drive to Chatham. If it is too blowy I will most likely seek an alternative location to fish. Drive around & investigate the bay side some more, who knows. The last time the wind was out of the Northeast @ 25 Kts & I went out on Monomoy, I did pretty well blind casting my two hander in the ditches.
Anyway I will be at Sandy's for breakfast about 6:30

Right now I am gonna pour three fingers of Glenlivet in a glass & pack my gear.:D

#6 ·
If Keith isn't running on Sunday, best options would likely be either Pleasant Bay (sheltered) or Nauset (? 5.5 mile Death March from main parking area to the new break). Hardings Beach another option, but not sure if they'd still charge for parking on such a day. Bayside would have us casting into the teeth of the wind...not my idea of fun....

#9 ·
Predicting the weather on the elbow of the cape is akin to predicting the winning lottery number. Converging weather systems from the outside and the sound side create a micro-climate in the Chatham area. Two bits of info from Keith you can take to the bank:
1. If the forecast is 10 to 15, add them together for a more accurate prediction.
2. If you ask him for a weather forecast in the a.m., he'll let you know in the p.m.

#11 ·
Just back from the Cape. No bait =no fish. I fished Pleasant Bay and the Light. On the advice of several Forum Members. Lots of seals at the Light so there had to be bait around. NE wind is a killer, at least for me. Zero at Pleasant Bay. No sign of life.
I have a Marine radio and they are pretty accurate. They rarely miss. On the forecast . I guess the Dog Days are here. Now I know why Jim Sims skips July and part of Aug. :hihi:
My solution to the Dog Days is more exploring with the Kayak. Gets you a little farther out then if you were wading plus you cover a lot of water. Beats walking.
FishHawk

#14 ·
FishHawk said:
Just back from the Cape. No bait =no fish. I fished Pleasant Bay and the Light. On the advice of several Forum Members. Lots of seals at the Light so there had to be bait around. NE wind is a killer, at least for me. Zero at Pleasant Bay. No sign of life.
I have a Marine radio and they are pretty accurate. They rarely miss. On the forecast . I guess the Dog Days are here. Now I know why Jim Sims skips July and part of Aug. :hihi:
My solution to the Dog Days is more exploring with the Kayak. Gets you a little farther out then if you were wading plus you cover a lot of water. Beats walking.
FishHawk
Or, you can come down here. Fishing has been great down here in the corner. It slacked off near shore a little last week due to a HUGE spawn out at the reefs. Could have walked across the bass out there. Peanuts are filling up Quonny. Bones should be close behind.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.