Fly Fishing Forum banner

Safe to yak to Washburn?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flydoc 
#1 ·
Juro or anyone- would it be safe to cross over to Washburn for the Boneclave in my 14 ft inflatayak? If so, where would be a good place to launch it from/park my pickup at for the 4 days?
Doc Shep :D

#2 ·
Shep -

It would be an easy paddle (2 miles?) but could get inconvenient in the sense that you would have to have everything you need - tent, bag, etc... packed on the yak.

It seems like we will have plenty of room on our generous boat owner participants crafts if you decide to hitch a ride.

The paddling aspect might make it more of an adventure though, certainly would be safe.

#3 ·
Juro- thanks for the input....I may scout out the area the previous weekend before deciding. I found the Washburn Island website with maps and recs on launching/parking areas. See ya there!
Doc Shep

#5 ·
Hi there,

I paddled over last year in my Necky Zoar Sport. I brought my tent and all of my other gear in the Yak.

On the way off of the island I actually beat the guys back to my car that left in boats at the same time that I left the island. You do not need to wait at the ramp when you have a yak!

I think that I paddled from the ramp to the island in 40 minutes.

Just FYI.

-Mike

#6 ·
Mike- thanks for the scouting report- sounding like the way to go the more I think about it. I've got a 14ft Sea Eagle 420x- should have plenty of room for gear if I'm the only passenger! Just need to spread the load...including my big 'ol keester...
Doc Shep :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.