Fly Fishing Forum banner

Snoqualmie

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  speybum 
#1 ·
Today the Snoqualmie finally dropped into shape.

I fished it twice last week but it was still too high for my dryline. This morning, I had a lot of karma going for me – I had toured the Seattle Aquarium and eaten sushi with a good friend last evening. I fished the two lower David Powell holes, The river was still a bit too high to wade into the prime casting spot that covers the lower run so I concentrated on the middle run. But the only grabs I had were the ones I replayed in my mind from last year.

After presenting a revised commercial to my client in Bellevue at 1pm, my car suddenly veered off I-405 and headed east on I-90 to Preston. The sun was shining gloriously and surely, the water had warmed, I reasoned. This time I fished below Fall City and again, as in the morning, I had the river to myself. I fished a Freight Train on a 2.0 heavy, the only concession I'll make to the fact that it's still June. The sun was warm, the water was cold and the La Gloria Cubana tasted good. I just know my fly passed over fish, who, obviously, were not yet curious enough to move up. Tips? They're home, coiled up in zip-lock bags and tucked away in a plastic container until November.

All this begs the question: Who among us will be the first to hook a steelhead with a swung fly on a dryline?

Leland.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's enough to get me to cancel outings on the cape to come out west to try to be "the one" ;)

I say we hold a greaseliner's contest. Whoever enters the contest owes a fly to the winner. Either Leland or I will be the collector of prize flies.

Just reply here to enter. Must have a photo of fish with full dry line in plain view, fish must be at least 28" to win.

I'm in for a sedge muddler.

#5 · (Edited)
Can I play?

It's a little early for me to get in this game but what the hell. I always liked a looooong shot. I'm in with a natural "After Dinner Mint" Muddler variation.

#6 ·
Swung fly with a dryline?? That isn't difficult as I can not tell you how many fish I have hooked while swinging a lead eyed fly with a strike indicator!! :devil: :devil:

...oh wait...I am sure the rules will be revised so that a weighted fly does not count! :(

#12 · (Edited)
Hooked a small steely on a swung fly while fishing below Deer Crk. Tuesday evening. Alas it was not on a floating line.

I also re-taught myself the lesson about using faulty equipment. In an attempt to save some money I had setup an older click pawl reel on a new 6126. I was a little concerned the springs of the reel were not very strong and may cause some problems. Sure enough when I went to set the hook on my little summer run the reel free spooled several feet of line producing slack between me and the fish. As steelhead do when they are hooked this fish headed straight to the surface and jumped. At which point, as in slow motion, I watched the fly slip out of the fish's mouth and fall useless into the river.

The next day I paid a visit to the fly shop and came away with a new Ross Gunnison reel for my 6126.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.