Fly Fishing Forum banner

Question to you all

5K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  peter-s-c 
G
#1 ·
We have a chance to give our page a custom look, take a look at the Spey or Wild Steelhead forum.

You will notice on the left hand side a picture of a nice Steelhead(Spey forum) or a logo (Steelhead forum).

Would you guys like to have something like that here?

If they answer is yes, dig out your favroite pics/logos and post them here. We can then vote on which one we feel truely represents the Great Lakes area and her fish.

Lets have some fun with this.

#3 ·
I submit

1. A scenic picture of one of our blue ribbon steelhead rivers like the one I have attached below. Pere Marquetter flies only no kill section, 1986 - Pmflyfisher casting to fall run steelhead. (See attached image)

2. The mental image I still have from last April of the big (12-14 lb) wild PM buck roaring out of the Deer Lick run, head shaking throwing my nymph violently, in the silence of the cold early moring light and mist, in a background of the snow covered jack pine forest.

PM Out

Attachments

#4 ·
Well whats the decision ?

I have a picture I could scan of a close to 30 pound king caught on the fly in the Oldie Hole on the PM that is quite impressive. Wow, that was some fish, my arm ached for hours after that fight.

No pictures of big (15lb+) steelhead they have all got away.

Lipripper must have some ask him.

They must be wild and caught on a fly though to qualify.

If you want scenic river pictures let me know, got plenty of them from the Little M, Mo, and PM.

PM OUt

#6 · (Edited)
Need a bigger wild one that was released or lost.

I am sure some one will hook one and maybe even land it later in the month. It could be me, will bring my digital and carry it on me from now on.

But how do you land a steelie with a spey rod, take a digital picture, and not harm the fish ?

Something I don't like to do, rather get them close and break them off without handling them.

PM Out

#8 ·
pmflyfisher said:
Need a bigger wild one that was released or lost.

I am sure some one will hook one and maybe even land it later in the month. It could be me, will bring my digital and carry it on me from now on.

But how do you land a steelie with a spey rod, take a digital picture, and not harm the fish ?

Something I don't like to do, rather get them close and break them off without handling them.

PM Out
That one was landed and released - note that the head is still in the water when the photo was taken. No problems landing it either. However, 'bigger' - you have a point. A bigger fish would be nice.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey, mjyp....

Just forwarded a nice pic of a fall run fish to Hal. It was one I kept at my daughter's request (she was hungry for fish), so I have a photo of it streamside on the grass, on the net, and with my rod beside it. You know, like the old time "sporting prints". A nice 26", 6 lb. fat fish. (Sorry - I just used my ol' 9 foot 6 wt., not a spey
rod.)
For some reason, I couldn't send it to the site. (Headset problems, I guess - you know, trouble between the earphones)So I forwarded it to Hal via e-mail, with a request that he try. Hope he can send it OK, it's a nice picture, and decent color. I think it may be a contender.

BobK

#13 ·
If I scanned some old 35mm prints I would have more. I have not carried a camera on the river in over 15 years. Have the digital now but do not carry it while fishing, keep in car for some general scenic shots, but no fish pictures will probably be taken.
Too risky to take that extra time and possibly harm the fish.

BTW, I have some beautiful fall PM scenic shots of me fishing very picturesque fishing the Upper Flies. Magazine type shot quality, etc. They need to be scanned though.

PM Out

#15 ·
The story behind the pic....

A year and a half ago, shortly after I moved into my current home, I had learned that steelhead come into Irondequoit Creek, a small creek running through parks all of the way to Lake Ontario. It's only 1.7 miles from my house. I was (still am) a novice steelhead angler - never really fished for 'em before.

I had fished the creek for browns with dries and nymphs during that summer with good success. I noticed that it was in the "Great Lakes Special Regs" section, and could be fished year round. So, one early October afternoon, I stopped down and gave it a whirl. Incidentally, my daughter asked me to "keep a fish" for her and her husband just a couple of days before.

Since I only had a couple of hours to fish, I started at the "handicapped pool", a place with wheelchair access for fishing, and worked my way up into the gorge. I had just started when the fish hit, and the fun was on. I had an audience from the handicapped parking area, and some nice young guy offered to net it for me. He did a professional job of netting it - no plunges or stabs, just let me lead the fish into the net. (Standing on the lip of a waterfall, it was no easy task! For either of us!)

Remembering my daughter's request, I painfully decided to keep it. I didn't have a camera with me, either. But the young guy who netted the fish for me offered to take a couple of pics of me, and get them to me.

I hadn't received the pictures for a long time, and had forgotten about them. Last June, I was stream fishing there again, and had just finished for the day. I was putting my gear in the back of the pickup, when I heard a voice behind me say, "I think I have something that belongs to you....."

He had misplaced my address, so had been keeping an eye out for me. As I said, a nice young man.

I still don't normally carry a camera with me. Cost me a nice shot of a fantastic steelhead last fall, some other "average" steelies, and some gorgeous browns (including a 20 lb. fish! My personal best!). But I carry too much with me as it is.

Still proves to me that you meet the nicest and friendliest people when you go fishing. Not all of 'em, to be sure, but the vast majority.

BobK :D

#19 ·
"John, how about that picture of your brothers wild PM beast ? Now thats a true candidate from my perspective."

I was just thinking we might get away from the fish pic thing. That's fine if we want to use it, but, he isn't a member here. He's one of dem busy lawyer fellas....and we all know what they're like. ;)

I have a couple others that might be good. I just have to be careful what I post because I was hoping to use some of them in another way. I'll go through them and post in a day a two.

If we did the still life deal then we could get everyone to send me a bug for the picture (non-returnable of course:devil: and that way we would all have a little fame to claim.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.