Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Year Resolutions....

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 ·
Happy New Year!!!!
Time for the annual New Year Resolutions.....
As far as fishing goes, mine is to finally catch a redfish during my annual March vacation to my parents' winter lair on Longboat Key FL. No success to date, but I've been fishing exclusively from shore (often under quite unfavorable conditions for flycasting). I'm seriously considering renting a kayak this time, which should allow me to access some promising areas of Sarasota Bay not accessible from the shore. Time to start tying those redfish/snook/seatrout flies....

Feel free to chime in with your own resolutions.:D
Flydoc

#2 ·
Happy New Year doc !

My fishing resolutions this year are (in no particular order) :

catch a river trout, probably on the swift, a wild brookie, a sweetwater bass and a bonefish in 2009.

I'd also like to spend less time tying flies as 5 patterns caught 95% of my fish in 2008.

I am also promising myself that this is the year i finally make time to night fish for stripers - i got the 11wt now and the big flies all tied up so i got no excuses.

cheers

Mark.

#3 ·
Mark- the Swift is where I've caught most of my flyrod trout, including quite a few brookies (although I'm not sure if the ones there can be classified as "wild"). As for the night fishing for stripers, I'm willing to buddy-up with you and others for that this season, as the daytime pickings seemed a bit slender last year. I'd also recommend Big Cliff Pond (in Nickerson State Park in Brewster) for some exciting smallmouth bass action on the fly.

Now if this white stuff outside would just up and leave....:rolleyes:
Flydoc

#4 ·
Hmmm.... I have to think about this one. I've got a lot of things I'd like to resolve but don't like to make resolutions I can't keep.

Find a new untapped destination? I certainly have one in mind in the BVI.

Spend a week dedicated to ocean feeding king salmon in the pacific northwest?

DIY a double digit FL Keys bone?

Catch and release a Penobscot salmon?

(just added) BFT on a fly?

hmmmm

#5 ·
Flydoc & Mark-

The Swift is a great place to catch WILD brookies. This Fall produced brookies in the 12inch plus range. One look at these beauties was all that one would need to know that they were wild or very healthy holdover fish. With all the redds that we saw on this tailwater we can only say that brookies are doing well.

Millerbrown

#6 ·
Like Flydoc, I want to catch a redfish this year. Going to try Captiva Island surrounds again. Had some chances last time, but couldn't connect. Maybe better luck this time. Headed there end of April.

And, Juro, what's a BFT? Big effing Tuna?

Cheers,

Eric

#8 · (Edited)
Mine is to stay out of trouble on the internet.... fish more with old and new friends and play more golf with my lady friend...,start changing my life... and getting my last child though college... I just paid my last college tuition form my middle boy and now only have three more years for my daughter who after her first year at Syracuse is on the Honors program.... dispite very troubling disapointments in my life,,,(as we ALL have)... I will hunker down to the old days.... my friends I have met here, healing old wounds, and moving on.... and CAC will be open I hope to a new era...I am the only guy I have known who carries a small casting rod in my Golf bag ( As a practical matter a fly rod does not work)... please correct me if there are others. Good to hear from Jeff Roop, who tried to pull a fast one and get the classic Bomber Jacket that Penguin was selling me:chuckle: ;) ...not really...Juro... better years are ahead..Jim S and Pam...I do have your Orvis lighter... and then instead of sending it to you I used it...Adrian...You still an avid golfer? FishHawk... I KNOW I will be seeing more!.. Warren, No, therr is no bed at CAC that will fit you so you will still need to use the floor... and Vtloon will have it anyway....maybe I will finally meet Jim Miller... and where is Bob Pink,Lefty... and name that don;t come to mind as I type...like Mark (DH) ,Eddy,Jeff Borkos!, . and those I have not mentioned .... and KEITH, ED, MS. LINCOLN....No more FF Shows for me....I have passed my book off to a guy , who I will not mention the name... who will get it done and who has the publishing contacts.... (a special thanks to Lefty Kreh and good health as always...he is not the pass off btw)... and just give me credit for the work done to date......The best to MikeZ, Jbasser..... and FredA... so long as he tips me off to those locations on the bay side;) . ...MORE RIP TRIPS for us poor beach walkers (wink)..I feel I can go on and on but I have always rambled to much...HAPPY NEW YEAR!... Regards, John

#9 ·
Miller/Doc - I would like to catch a brookie on the swift before the March stocking. As soon as we get a windless 35F+ saturday/sunday I'll be up there in my thick socks.

I also have info on a certain Falmouth pond that has wild brookies up to 10" which are ravenous after ice out ;)

If anyone wants to take me smallie fishing during the doldrums this year please do :hihi:

Redfish, snook and specks may be on my 2010 resolution list, as next winter i'd like to do a 3 night break to FL's gulf coast to fend off the shack nasties.

M.

#10 · (Edited)
How did it get to be 2009 already? I've learned to soften the the term "resolution" (which seems much too binding) to a Requirements List... at this point a non-inclusive DRAFT. So far the list addresses :

Overdue for large Glades Tarpon fix

A large Sightfished Striper spotted and intercepted from a long distance

Race in the Lightning Worlds Masters(old farts) Championships

Albies

A re-match with sizable BFT

Salmon River Steelies on a swung spey or streamer

Ski Whistler with my son & grandson

Of course, a wish list is easy; the real challenge will be interweaving it with family and a bit of work.

#11 ·
To John Morin, ROFLMAO, The floor is fine!:chuckle: I resolved years ago to not make resolutions, however I am gonna loose some weight so I fit through the door at the CAC :hihi:

Happy New year everyone and lets hope where ever you are the fish run in good numbers & the weather is nice one or two days.

I am looking forward to seeing all my friends on the Cape & making some new ones where ever my travels may take me.

#12 ·
Resolution is probably the wrong word however I will go about my goals with resolve. Does that make them resolutions?:)

I want to catch a big red fish (over 20 lbs) I will be trying to do that in a couple of weeks.

I would like to catch a big striper, maybe someone can give me some advice.

I want to catch a nice size, fresh run atlantic salmon. My biggest to date was 23 lbs but it was a coloured autumn fish.

Catching a steelhead would be nice.

I am not too bothered about bones and tarpon this year but if there is an expedition taking place then I would love to go.

Only real resolution is to try not to drink so much pinot noir. I said try :)

#15 ·
- Already well progressed on getting back into the gym - targetting '1000 Calorie' workouts for '09 :whoa:

- Fish more in 2009 (I said that in 2008 but failed :rolleyes: ).

- Get back to Salmon River in April

John, not golfing these days....just evicting the mice from the golf bag :hihi:

Mark - hope to see you (and a few others) on the water after dark :smokin:

#16 ·
Yes... drinking too much!... I have been there...sober for 12 years... then year and half of back on after my wifes death ...now sober for 2 years coming up on Jan 19....Don't let that "guy" wisper in your ear..... help is always there... I know.... don't be afraid to reach out if you need a nudge.......:eek:

#17 ·
Not resolutions, but I'm pretty resolute in following thru:

1. I've pissed off a few guys over the years that wanted to follow me and my bud(s) to some locations, and said "it's a long walk and I don't want to see you getting lost." If it isn't infringing on someone's UDL, I'll say "sure" if they are not a**holes. Disclaimer: I still don't know why someone would follow mediocre fly guys.
2. Two-handed flycasting. I've watched the likes of Juro and others in specific conditions use this technique with good results. I've sat on the sidelines for the past five years, and this is the year to refine and use it where appropriate.
3. Do more exploring. I started doing that last year, but as some of the consistent areas have dried up, it is time to spend time in new locations.
4. Tuna. I've done it a couple of times and I'm more committed this year. Read: Craig, Sean and Jeff, hope to spend more time in this pursuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.