Fly Fishing Forum banner

Help for Saltwater Flytying Novices

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
As a relative newcomer to the art of flytying, I have been scouring the internet (this site included) over the last few years looking for patterns/tips/pointers. What has impressed me lately is the explosion of tutorial video clips, that have proven extremely helpful to myself and undoubtedly countless others. These include videos from Steve Farrar and others on the ASWF site (probably the most helpful for novice saltwater tyers), and more recently several videos (by link from their website to a separate page on YouTube) posted by the folks at Saltwater Edge in Newport. I have also discovered a site called HatchesTV, that has numerous videos mainly devoted to freshwater, but with some that demonstrate helpful techniques (like deerhair spinning) that are useful for both fresh and saltwater tying.
I was wondering if there was anyway to incoporate instructive video clips into this site (such as John tying up some of his patterns, and maybe Juro with the Deep Eel, Adrian's crab patterns, etc), if it wouldn't overburden the server capacity. Anybody got a digital camcorder and an interest in helping us spread some flytying expertise?
Flydoc

#2 ·
Jim, that's a great idea. Over the years we have had alot of tying event. Years ago we would have winter meetings, at say ,some sports club or something, where everyone who was interested would get together and tye and share information. It seems like those days are over. There was a lot of participation on the fly board also with picture and recepies of patterns and that has slowed down. We have had many fly swaps and those have slowed down to such an extent that they have disappeared. I used to go to First Light Anglers once a week in the winter where Nat and Derrick would run a tying session and that was very helpful to me when I started. Video's might be hard unless some people want to make the effort to do that..... sometimes a photo step by step is easier for the tyer to do rather than the video. That being said.... video's would be very helpful to new tyers. You might remember you might have seen the Tuna video from First Light where Nat did a video of his Tuna herring fly. We should see what Juro thinks and where we can get these video's...or... can members do them as well without great effort.

#4 ·
Jim...I know you were asking for saltwater fly tying videos online, but for those interested in freshwater fly tying videos online might want to check out KWSU Fly Tying: the Angler's Art on the Open Media Network. Just like you, I am relatively new to fly tying and this site was very helpful. Many of the techniques used on the Angler's Art are, of course, applicable to salt water patterns. Their step by step approach to fly tying is especially helpful for newbies.

Steve

#5 ·
Striper Flies

Rather than take the static data from a video, it might be to your advantage to look at what you see in the water. If you use your imagination to make what you believe will work you will be better able to make what will work for you, not the guy on the video. Make mistakes. Make flys that look like hell and learn how to modify them until they work. It takes patience, you will have fishless outings but who cares. In the end you will have something that you did yourself and it will be better than what you could learn from the video.
Ron Montecalvo

#6 ·
Thats pretty good advice Ron, after all that is how new effective patterns are developed. Learn the basics of fly tying from video, book or mentor and go from there.

I can see it now in a few seasons the Juro's deep eel will be replaced by the Flydoc, Two Fingered Sandeel :hihi: :hihi:

I for one think some regional fly tying weekends or days in the winter would be fun.

#7 ·
If it ever becomes a burrowing two-fingered sand eel I'll take up golf :lildevl:

Seriously though... watching experienced hands at the vise can lead to many revelations in technique but adjustments driven by what we learn in the field are what makes a good fly great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.