Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cape Cod Bass on the Fly Trifecta....NOT!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Hit the ponds at Nickerson Park with my associate/fellow family doc Scott Miner yesterday (he's still a bit antsy about the salt).....I landed two smallmouth and one largemouth on my Sage 5wt....he got two perch. As we were heading back to the parking lot (after some storm clouds appeared on the horizon and thunder rumbled in the distance), I got the notion to head for the salt to try to make it a trifecta....but the wind and stripers would not cooperate...WAY too windy on the south side, and deader than a cemetary late afternoon/early evening on the bayside. But now I have that goal stuck in my brain....a smallmouth, a largemouth, and a striper....all on the fly, all in one day...I'll do it some day!
Flydoc

#2 ·
I tried some thing similar on a trip to Maine a couple of years ago. It was the Northeast Grand Slam but it was over two days for logistical reasons. Brook trout, Landlocked Salmon, Smallmouth Bass and Striped Bass in one weekend. The idea was to catch four species of wild or native fish in a weekend. We traveled from the Southern Coast to the West Branch of the Penobscot and back in two days and caught all four, though the salmon were quite small. Would have been cool if smallmouth were native to Maine but I guess you could have still done a NE trifecta if you wanted to keep them native. Challenges like that are fun.

#4 ·
I don't think I've ever fished in FW on the cape because I can't seem to drag myself away from the salt after I've traveled out to the coast. I have stopped at some local FW spots on my way home from the cape and caught stripers and largemouths in the same day, and I've also caught a smallie/striper combo within a few casts of each other in the Holyoke section of the CT river. I always thought it would be fun to try for multiple FW and SW species during the same trip someplace like the lower CT River :cool: .

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.