Fly Fishing Forum banner

May 16 at the canal?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Was wondering if there is a plan for a canal outing the Friday of the Clave like there was last year....have ordered (and will hopefully receive in time for the Clave) the 650 grain Rio Skagit Versitip package to use with my 11/11 Atlantis...looking forward to some further tutorials from the Spey/Skagit gurus on the fine art of the Snap-T, Perry Poke, and Skagit spey techniques. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year, and we'll all be free of car problems:lildevl:
Flydoc

#2 ·
I will still be tied up in the hospital, but Adrian and PEC54 are always good bets.......the tide will allow a 10 30 am wade in time at the mud flats....out and on the road by 2 and then head to Chatham....seems ideal....maybe Fishhawk as well

#3 ·
Thanks John...if it comes together, we'll give you a call (on FishHawk's phone, of course) from the scene as before. In the meantime, you can demonstrate your version of the Perry Poke to the nursing staff:hihi:
Flydoc

#4 ·
I'll be there.

It has become a bit of a tradition and one of these years someone is going to hook and land the mother of all bass from the Big Ditch "Spey Style". :smokin:

Actually Mr. Basser is working on an article specifically focused on fly-rodding the Canal and maintaining harmonious relations with other Canal users, in particular the hardcore conventionals. Watching a group of regulars jigging or plugging side by side along the rip-rap is quite an education in teamwork. Seeing what can happen when an inexperienced angler inadvertently or mindlessly casts over the team's line is also something to behold! :lildevl:

I will say no more at this stage, except to that I expect it to become required reading for all who aspire to crack the Big Ditch code and live to tell the tale.

#5 ·
Adrian- same meeting location as last year? 9 AM meeting time seemed to work well for the Spey Day....go with the same for May 16?
Still awaiting word from Scott that my Rio Skagit line has shipped...he sent an e-mail last week saying should ship this week (they were awaiting a big shipment from Rio)....if I have to, I'll drive up there next Wednesday afternoon to pick it up in person, rather than risk not having it in time for the Clave:Eyecrazy:
Flydoc

#7 · (Edited)
Two-hand get together

I'd like to join up on my way to the Clave. Hopefully logistics will allow me an early enough departure. What would be the latest I could arrive and still get involved (more interested in the learning than the catching).

#8 · (Edited)
Friday Rendezvous for Canal Rats ....

NOAA is predicting winds from the North:

FRI
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KT UNTIL
LATE EVENING...THEN BECOMING N 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. GUSTS
UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

That is no fun when funneled (and amplified) through the confines of the ditch. Not an issue for conventional guys but even the Skagit afficionados will be pushed to the limit. It really isn't much fun trying to be a hero and for those who are travelling a long distance and/or coming to the Canal for the first time, I don't believe it should be a life threatening experience :smokin:

I suggest a meet at the RailRoad Bridge parking lot in Bourne. Do a Google search on Sunnyside Cafe, Bourne, Ma.

They serve a very nice breakfast and the parking lot is directly across the street.

West turn tide (left to right current on the mainland side) begins at 07:50. I will be at Sunnyside at 07:00 for a cholesterol fix!

I suggest we meet there or across the street in the lot.

Folks will be meandering in the parking lot for sure. There are a couple of other spots we can check out but best not to publish those in plain view.

PM me your cell # and I will reply with mine.

I should have web access until Friday morning.

I'm happy to act as impromptu anchor for this event - until I start seriously fishing around 09:00 am, after which I will return your call depending on how much time is taken up fighting fish :D

Hoping for a good turn-out and at least one screeming drag :lildevl:

#10 ·
sounds good!

I will be at the sunnyside 7:00 am friday morning , it would be nice to know how many plan to attend the friday morning striper clave at the canal kick off. There are many spots along the mainland side of the ditch that are great spey spots east of the RR bridge ,some work for small groups some for larger. See ya all friday.

#15 ·
If I'm crossing the canal anytime around 7 am I'll stop in at the Sunnyside. I'll only have a 9wt one-hander but I'll give it a few casts and watch the spey guys for a while before I head east. If I don't see you guys on Fri then maybe we'll cross paths on Saturday. Should be a classic! :smokin:

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.