Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tributary Lake Run Browns/Steelhead

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Although I didn't get to fish as much as I would for salmon this fall with football obligations, it only makes me look foward for the upcoming opportunities that await later this season. I didn't get to venture into the Michigan northwoods to fish the Platte, Bestie or Pere Marquette rivers, nor the rivers that flow through the farmcountry of Ontario's western Lake Huron shoreline or anywhere else in the Great Lakes. Well, what can you do?? :D

My adventure starts soon, and the quest is for lake run browns and steelhead that already have ascended our rivers. While the browns and salmon spawn, the steelhead take advantage of the feeding orgy they is availible. Dislodged eggs are everywhere, and steelhead will stage in pockets and flats behind the gravel and gorge themselves just as rainbows do in Alaska as they await drifting eggs behind sockeyes. It is a blast targeting these fish. Lake run browns also take advantage of this event, as they too will often hold behind the salmon before they spawn.

Usually bright, attractive eggs work best, but as the season progresses, gaudy and off colored eggs will be key. The best way to present your patterns to the fish are with a floating line and indicator, or a sink tip setup. Spey rods can be useful in maintaing long drifts and fighting fish. Sometimes you may have to use 6lb tippet or lower....in this circumstance, I prefer flourocarbon. Also, be sure to have many different type of eggs in your flybox. Halo, Nuke, Globug, Estaz, Kystal, sucker spawn, and the many variations of eggs can be effective. Also, have many colors and sizes as well. I run a tandem rig with a bright egg usually and a duller egg behind it.

It won't be long now....:D

See less See more
#6 ·
If will be my fault if I do not encounter them since I know they will be there, they have always been for the last 23 years.

Its all up to me to execute properly and adapt to the conditions which now appear will be low clear water unless we get a lof of rain in the next two weeks

I am now praying to the rain gods !!:D

#7 ·
PM=Tough

Hey Hal,
PM is completely loaded with food right now. So much so that you can't take a step without stepping on loose King eggs. Thousands of em, and the fish are full of em too. Tough fishing. If you can afford the time you may want to look a little farther south for a day's fishing as well. The MO might be worth a little time. ;)

John

#8 ·
Yes I have been through that scenario many times right now I am praying for rain (lots) and debating whether to defer until December. I hate the November low water conditions for steelheading. I guess I could pull out a couple with some hard fishing based on my 23 years of river knowledge but I would prefer higher water so they are out in the runs and not just the deep holes. I have had my skunkings before in these conditions.

How is the LM I assume the same conditions ?

Thanks

Hal

#9 ·
Haven't been up to the L.M. this fall, well, earlier, like late summer but, not for fall steel. I can't remember off the top of my head what the closing date is above the weir. Might be worth a call to the DNR to get a feel for how many they have passed over the weir. I am sure you'll do fine on the PM, like you said you'll swim a couple...at least. How do you rig for the PM? shooting head system? Full sinking line? Floating? Just curious/interested in trying some different stuff this fall. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.