Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Magic of Ben Howard?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
OK . . so I've badmouthed Ben Howard as a worthless featureless trench. Then Andre gets that beautiful buck there, and now I'm told another was hooked (on for about 30 seconds) and lost this last weekend! On a day when NOBODY was getting fish!

What's up?? Do you think these steelhead are holding down there waiting for the Plug Pullers to pull their boats outta the water?? <G> Anybody out there like this water and mind sharing with me what I'm missing.

Don't get me wrong - my hat's off to Andre and Tim (the guy who hooked the fish this last weekend). Hell, right now I'd swing my fly in a muddy ditch if you told me I could hook a steelhead there!

#2 ·
Brian,

I'll agree it is featureless uninteresting piece of water. Uninteresting at least from what we see. I'd be interest to know where Tim got his grab? It could be that the bottom has some depressions or something. Remember, that hog we saw on the Sandy talk about wierd water!

I look at Ben Howard as it stands now as "easy travelling" water, any little feature could create holding water. But, keep smack talking alive, kill the crowds.

Andre

#4 ·
I remember fishing it during low water in the summer... being able to wade 1/3 or more across toward the far bank. Other than the big rock in mid-channel at the top of the run, there were subtle pockets all through the run (although I was fishing to the main channel mid-morning). That was a long time ago, and knowing what I know now, I'd be back in the twilight hours to fish where I used to wade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.