Fly Fishing Forum banner

Neah Bay Updates Anyone?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NZ Trout Bum 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just wondering how things are going out at Neah Bay in terms of numbers of fish and ocean conditions.

Any info would be appreciated.

-tony

#2 ·
conditions have been rough, to put it mildly. last week was just brutal, with only two days that were not rougher than s***.

fish numbers are definetely improving though. it was tough getting to them most of last week.

good news though, this morning the thick summer fog was back for the first time this year. hopefully it wasn't just a tease on a non-salmon day.

chris

#4 ·
Getting better

Well, last weekend was better. The size is improving with fish to about 10 pounds. Fighting the fog most every day which limits finding birds, rips and moving fish. We did run across a large school of surface coho last Saturday and spent most of the day with surface flies. Probably could have caught a bunch using a sinking line but how often do you get chances on top? Managed tow to hand, two take-downs without hook ups and numerous follows, slashes and swirls. Had a guy with us who couldn't cast very well so did some "harling" and couldn't go 5 minutes without a fish at times.

Also saw a huge shoal of small Mackeral (8-10 inches). Would come down the rip surface feeding at the speed of light. Cool to see but I don't know what it means.

Rock fish were on top on Sunday off Tatoosh so provided lots of entertainment and a bucket of delicious eating. Am somewhat worried about the impact of the Sunday/Monday closure on salmon as it is putting more preasure on the ground fish. I'm guilty.

Roports were still good for Umitilla but we just fished a couple miles S/SW of Tatoosh for the salmon.

The bridge is closed again this coming week although I have had conflicting reports on the tilmes. Publication sent to Oly Pen residents says the closure starts at 6:00 PM Sunday but the radio said it was all weekend. Better check the web site again. Heck, I might just fly to Port Angeles and get Moonlight to pick me up as the flight may be cheaper than putting gas in the Suburban.

Good luck and let us know how you do. W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.