Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ocean Dead Zones due to nutrient loads

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
Hello,

Another interesting study that looks at the effects of nutrient loads due to fertilizers and such that result in "Dead Zones" and other phenomena related to Man's impact on our ecosystems. Data has shown these events were uncommon prior to the 70's. read more about hypoxia and algea blooms at...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2267.htm

Greg.

#3 ·
This has become a world problem that needs to be addressed soon. Even out here in the non poluted Pacific Northwest, cough, cough, we are having problems.

Our beloved Hood Canal has been hit hard by low dissolved oxegen levels near the bottom zones. Those not familiar with the Hood Canal it is about 50 miles or more long 2 to 6 miles wide and very deep on most sections as deep as 800 feet and over a hundred feet deep just feet from shore. The canal was made by glaciers in the last ice age I believe. Problems seem to be coming from faulty septic systems on mostly the lower sections but there are other causes also such as dumping of tons of chum salmon after row is removed for Asian markets and there are natural causes also.

Sad it is but all fishing has been canceled because of stress on fish except salmon and you can harvest clams and crab. There are studies being done and I guess they will show eventually that septic systems must be removed and costly wastewater plants put in every little communitty. Not sure if Americans could fathom the idea of composting toilets or not, probably not. I once read that in Sweden years ago they had such problems on the many lakes where people had summer homes. The goverment made laws that people had to put in composting toilets and if I remember right even helped in cost. The lakes soon became healthy again.

My question is do you think Americans could ever get used to the idea of composting toilets instead of the very expensive alternatives to help lessen such problems? I put one in my new home on my Montana ranch back in the 70's and it worked really well as long as I didn't have too many beer parties in winter when my heavy drinking neighbors refused to pee outside in 40 below zero weather. From what I understand composting toilets are fairly comon in rural europe now and are better than ever before. I would like to see more of them here in this country but I just can't picture some silver haired retired lady with her white toy poodle wanting to clean it every few months even though it does not stink and is easy to do. Also bet that the right wingers and there are a lot of them retired on the hood canal would scream that their rights are being trampled on if the state required that they put composting toilets in. Anyone else familiar with composting toilets and how well they work in stopping phosphate and nitorgen levels from building up in residing waters?

#4 ·
OC said:
Not sure if Americans could fathom the idea of composting toilets or not, probably not.
My question is do you think Americans could ever get used to the idea of composting toilets instead of the very expensive alternatives to help lessen such problems?
i dought that you could convince the white coller guys/gal's to have to see there Poo twice, let alone handle it.

I for one would do it. I have a goal, and that's to fish with my son when he is born. I want him to be able to enjoy the very things we all enjoy.

ps, all I could think of was Jessica Simpson Freadking out cause she had to remove her composted Poo. :hihi: :chuckle: :hihi: :chuckle: :hihi:

#5 ·
right wingers????

I don't think it has a damn thing to do with right or left, it's what needs to be done. and I doubt too many left wingers want to deal with their poop any more than right wingers. I'm a bit more toward the right in some politics, but reality is what it is. we need to change how we treat the earth. Tom D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.