Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rynda

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Boerie 
#1 ·
Hi,

i'm going to visit the kola-peninsula in a few weeks to fish the rynda. can anybody give me an actuel report (flies etc.)?

bone

#3 ·
Hi wrke,

i'll be there in the first week of august. Thank you for the tip. I have already tied the samples you suggested( double-hooks size 6-8 ). recently i heard, that i should use flies down to size 12! is that correct? did you ever visit the rynda?

greetins from hamburg, gemany!

bone

#4 ·
Bone
Yes, I've fished Rynda but have spent much more time on the Kharlovka and East Litza. A couple of years ago, the largest fish of our week on the Litza was a 44 lb fish taken on a size 10 waked in the surface, so small flies can work. And we actually took fish on size 14 doubles on the Zolotaya. I think your sizes are good, but don't forget to include some larger sunrays. I've generally fished the 2nd week of August, will likely fish the Rynda in June next year. Not fishing it this year, leave for Montana and Oregon today. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Bill

#5 ·
I am going to fish the Rynda in the first week of August so I will see you (Bone) there. Getting very excited now as I have never been to the Kola before or fished any further away from home than Scotland. I expect the week to be a very steep learning curve with the fish teaching me a lesson or two. For me it is a trip of a lifetime and it will be some time before I can afford to go on another one or get a pass out from the misses.

#6 ·
Hi Wilbert,

thank you for your answere. I fished the Ponoi a few years ago, and it was fantastic! My father, my good friend Soenke and i will arrive at the Arlanda Airport Hotel on friday evening. Maybe we'll meet at the Bar for a beer (or two).

Bone

#10 ·
Hi Bone,
When you return from the Rynda, please could you give me a full report on what fish were taking and what techniques were most productive. I'm out there in two weeks and have not heard much in the way of feedback from anyone returning this year. Thanks.

Boerie

#11 ·
Boerie I was out there with Bone but our report would be a little out of date as the trip was in 2004, we both went back in 2005 but on different weeks. The fishing will be great even on a hard week. The whole trip is a great experience and you will have loads of memories that will last a lifetime. As for patterns and techniques be equipped to try everything and to learn lots. Full floaters to fast sinkers and bombers to 2" copper tubes. I did well on willie gunn tubes last year in a whole manner of sizes and weights, Francis tubes seem to work well in red and black too. Fishing a riffled single or a bomber is great fun and is well worth a go, the biggest tip I can give you is to listen to your guide, they know their stuff and the more you listen the more they will teach you. Some of the biggest fish are caught in small pockets of water behind rocks etc so if they tell you to fish a small spot and keep changing your fly this is because your in with a good chance of a fish or 2. I had my biggest fish of 28lbs last year from Peters Pocket, this was largly ignored until about 6 years ago and every year it produces big fish. Wish I was going out there will be saving to go in 2007.

#12 ·
Hi Wilbert,

good to hear from you. Unfortunately i couldn't find the the time for Kola this year, but i plan to go there again in the next season. My father is fishing all four rivers this week! They started on Saturday with 6° C (airtemperature)...

bone

#14 ·
Kola!

Hi Wilbert,

i'm also planning to go "back to the u.s.s.r." in the next year and will contact Peter soon. Maybe we'll meet again...

My father came home yesterday, he was pretty impressed of Karlovka and especially of the East Litza. His best fish was a sealiced 20 pounder from the Zolotaya. He has met Lawrence, who will stay for another week. The temperatures were pretty low (6°-16°C clody/light rain).

They have had a good companionship with the other guests and can't wait to return to "Peter's wonderland".

Tl,

bone

#15 ·
ASR 2006

Hi Sven

I’m just back from my trip. I was great to see your dad again; it was just a shame that you didn’t make it out there too.

We had great conditions on week 32. The rivers were dropping back nicely and there was a great run of fresh fish. We were taking part in an experimental ‘3 rivers experience’ where you spend 3 days on Kharlovka & Litza and 3 days on Rynda and Zolotaya. It was fantastic to fish this vast amount of water that arguably amounts to the finest and most pristine wild salmon fishing in the world. Over this week around 260 fish were taken to 20 rods – experienced rods who put the time in generally took 20+ fish for the week and many fish in the high teens and 20s were taken. My best was this 25 pound sea licer taken from the Litza Upper Dream Pool. I had that on a thinly dressed Green Highlander bottle tube that took another 4 fish before I lost it on a careless back cast (no, not spey casting, but trying to reach a fish that was taunting me a long way away with a shooting head!). Needless to say I spent a long time looking for that fly.

25 pounder

Litza Upper Dream Pool

16.5 from Kharlovka Rock Pool

Of note, Zolotaya amazed those who visited as there were many reports of fresh MSW fish including 2 fresh 20s.

The next week was a youth week and whilst not quite as many fish came to the net, excellent fishing was had by all with some rods reaching the high teens. Again there were several fish in the twenties and I know of a sea liced 24 from Rynda. The story of the week, however, was 42 pounder from Litza. This fish took more than 2 hours to land and took the angler down 2 miles of Litza rapids. He met his Dad on his journey who promptly started offering advice such as ‘keep the rod up’. At this point, having kept this fish on for 1.5 hours the angler thought this advice somewhat unnecessary! The fish took a conehead Wille Gunn (a great fly for these rivers – never leave home without one, or sunrays or francis for that matter).

Now I’m back to reality and have a stack of great memories, photos and a slightly shorter GLX 15’ (which also had a couple of cracks in the blank which never developed, even after landing some 200+ pounds of fish after they were first discovered) to remind me of these great times. Roll on next year….

Cheers

Lawrence

#16 ·
ASR Youth week Rynda

Hi All!

Was great meeting you out there Laurence! Thanks for looking after Debra and the boys, they had a great time and can't wait to get back. I had an pretty good week on the Rynda (week 33) with 16 fish including 3 between 20 lb and 25 lb, albeit the 24 lb sea licer was the highlight of my week! Small coneheads were definitely the fly of the week, with Sunray's and hitched tubes not far behind. Some big fish were taken on the Kharlovka and Litza during week 34. We had a run of sea liced fish on the Litza which provided some of the rods with hectic sport at Litza falls. I certainly recommend the Northern rivers company for anyone after big Salmo Salar.
Its salmon fishing at its best in one of the last true remaining wilderness areas.
I cannot wait to get back!

Boerie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.