Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newfoundland?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  happy-and-sober 
#1 ·
Sudden obsession with Newfoundland lately... good for a spur of the moment atlantic salmon fix this time of year, anyone been there lately? Good runs? Good guides (no links), lodges or advice?

Anyone interested in going say next month?

#5 ·
Tightlines is a valued sponsor and good friend, and talking to Drew is one of the reasons for this salmon monkey on my back! :)

We'll both be at the Salmon River Clave and you can bet the conversation will be about what we can do to get our asses up there, or to the Skeena, or Andros, or...

#6 ·
Juro, This Puget Sound steelhead bum just got back yesterday from 3 weeks in Newfoundland. I didn't miss anything here at home as the local run has been poor. I had a great trip and fished two of the major rivers with two very knowledgeble guides. They are having a hot and low water summer. Most of smaller rivers have been closed due to high water temps. Last week the Gander hit a high of 74 degrees F. I was the one to go swimming that day. The majority of the fish are grilse and weigh 4 to 7 pounds. A 91 metric fish was caught above me one day of about 17 pounds. I fished mostly with a single handed 10 foot 7 wt. These fish fight much like our native summer run steelhead. They may jump a little higher out of the water. Only one fish took me about a 100 yards into the backing. They called it a jack with abut a half inch kipe on the lower jaw. We fished a wet fly swing casting about 30 to 40 degrees to each sid of the boat. I had a couple of players come 3 and 4 times after the fly. They have a softer mouth then a steelhead so they do not need a big hook set. In fact I think it would be best to let them just take it. I lost the first 3 but then like steelhead I landed the next 6 or so. I tried the bombers several time but never had a hookup. Juro with the warm water conditions I would wait till the fall fishery or else till next year. Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.