Fly Fishing Forum banner

Renzetti Traveler Cam...

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
... am I the only one that has difficulty getting the thumb-screw to tighten down on the shaft to the point where it stays tight and doesn't swivel all over when trying to tie? I made the switch from a Regal to this Renzetti and so far I'm not impressed. Another complaint I have is that I have to keep adjusting the jaw width for hooks, even if they're identical to the last one (or ten) I tied with. I never had either of these problems with my Regal. Anyone care to offer some advice?

#2 ·
I agree with you 100% but what are we to do? We've already purchased it. Yes, no matter how tightly you turn the screw, the head will still turn slightly, an annoyance, to be sure. I have the standard traveler vise purchased about 5 yrs. ago. I am hesitant to add the cam head saltwater head or larger tightening screws or anything else because, long story short, I feel this vice still can't handle the tying of saltwater fly tiers. I purchased the clouser head add on and felt it wasn't worth the cash. The tail of the clousers still got tangled up in the vice on the left side. Sent it back. The "master" fly tiers seem to love the Renzetti Master vice but since I can't afford it, I still hang on to my traveler rendition and do my best but that doesn't mean I like it. For saltwater fly tying, I think I could have done better with a little more research.

#3 ·
Which thumb screw are you having trouble with? The ones on the axis of rotation that adjust the rotating tension, or the one that screws down onto the rotating shaft (absolutely useless). if the later five minutes work with a file making a flat on the shaft would stop the rotation.

I haven't had the problem with hook size adjustment. Its been steady through a whole pack of hooks. The only thing thats thrown me is having the fully tightened position when the lever is parallel with the bent arm.

#4 ·
Hi John,
Yes, the second screw, which holds the vertical shaft in place, is the one I'm referring to. I have given thought to using a file to create a flat spot on this shaft, as you suggest, however with the additional issue of the vice not holding the hooks consistently, I'm seriously thinking about returning this vise and looking for something else, or just sticking with my Regal. It's not rotary, but I'm beginning to think that it doesn't really matter.

#7 ·
Hi Chris,
I love my Renzettie Saltwater traveler --- I think it's the best vise tried.[I've tied for 45+years] I haven't had any of the problems you mention. The Jaws seem to consistantly close on the hook.The one thing you might watch for is to put the fly in the jaws the same place/depth each time.
No problem with the shaft turning.
I've had mine a year and tied a lot of flies.
The only thing I've had a problem with is the rubber "O" ring on the back of the jaws----two have broken but just call renzetti and they'll send you a few.
Don't give up on it!!! Good luck!
Don

#8 ·
Flyfisha1,

You have found out why I always recommend people buy the best vise they can afford. And if they can't afford it at the time, put money away for 6 months and then get the top end vise. To do otherwise is false economy if you are tying a lot of flies or very large flies.

The two best vises on the market bar none are the Renzetti Master Vise (getting really close the $600.00 US) or my favorite vise the Dyna King Barracuda (around $330.00 US), which is also available in a 3/4 size model called the Barracuda Jr (around $285.00 US). The other vises on the market just don't do what these two very finely crafted vises will do. Dyna King makes a superb vise for around $250.00 US as well which is not a true rotary because it doesn't have the angled vise arm; however, it has hook holding that is every bit the equal of the Barracuda.

The Renzetti Traveler (whether saltwater or standard) is OK for lighter duty tying or for flies of #2 and smaller; however, neither one was designed for volumn tying or for tying the really large stuff. I would take a file to the thimb screw though as John suggested, it makes a world of difference and is something that I tell people to do as a matter of course with the Renzetti Travelers.

#9 ·
Dyna King has come out with the Trekker for 209 which has the same jaws as the full size Barricuda. When I get the cash that's the vise I'll get. I have a Regal which I use now but want a rotary vise. Having done some machining in my career I can tell you the the Dyna King vises are superior from a machining point of view. The Renzetti Master is also well machined but the cost is very high.
FishHawk:smokin:

#10 ·
It might seem a bit pig-headed, my wanting to get rid of the vise due to the afore-mentioned issues, but I think that when you pay for a good product, it should work properly out of the box without having to make modifications to the structure. I'm going to contact the retailer that the vise was purchased through and see about returning it. My next vise will likely be a Barracuda. If they have one, I'll see about upgrading.

#11 ·
I have both the Renzetti master and the traveler.... I can't say anything about the master except It is perfect and can take a lot of inadvertant abuse... I usually bring the traveler down the Cape in the summer months and I have had problems with the hook keeper screw..not the shaft screw... but I then bought the Cam for the traveler and now It's fine...What ticked me off , as flyfishe1 said is I had to make a modification to the traveler... and the Cam set me back $60 dollars... so ultimatly the Traveler really costs you $200 after all is said and done. If I had to buy another vice I would certainly look at the Barracuda..the top end one, which is still basically 1/2 the cost of the master.... Also... I have seen tyers take a top line hook and bend it in half from the jaws and it still stayed in place with out snapping out in your face. Puglisi showed that at a tying seminar.

#12 ·
Striblue,

That is one of the reasons I recommend without hesitation the Dyna King vises, and for true rotary, IMHO the Barracuda is the best on the market. I have worn out many well-regarded vises over the years (some in less than two years); but I have had zero problems with my Barracuda that was purchased the first year they became available from Dyna King, some 7 years ago. I have tied tens of thousands of flies on it too.

#13 ·
I just got off the phone with the store that the vise was pruchased at; they're going to exchange it for a Rio WC 7/8/9 for me, with a few dollars credit left over. Looks like I'll be looking at the Barracuda (which they don't carry) in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.