Fly Fishing Forum banner

Boat questions...

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kjackson 
#1 ·
So I am slowly starting to come to grips with how much about boats I do not know. I am hoping you all can help set me straight.

Planning a boat purchase in the next year (could be longer if I cannot find what I want).

Criteria:

Somewhat of a family boat with fishing potential a big part of the decision. My wife is agreeable to center console boston whaler/mako designs which is good for me. Baiscally I need something with a decent amout of sitting room for 5-6 people and the ability for 2 people to fish comfortably. Looking at fiberglass boats exclusively.

The fishing will all be done in saltwater in the puget sound.

Looking for something 17-21 feet with a lean towards the longer boat to handle fishing in the straits and out on the coast.

Will most likely be a used boat. Just do not see the sense in buying something new as it seems boats do not hold new retail value much at all. Seeing a ton a good deals on early 90's boats.

What do you all think of Mako boats? I have been seeing some in the 20'+ class built anywhere from 1988-1995 at good prices. I do like the looks of them but am unsure of how well they are built.

Some I have been seeing do not come with outboards. What should I be looking at for an outboard? For the size of boat I want something over 175hp is what I will need but I have no idea what manafacturers are best. I assume 4 strokes are the best?

If I go the used route on an outboard what should I be looking for. How many hours are too much? I have heard all you really get is about 500 hours per outboard before it needs to be rebuilt.

So those are the questions I have so far. Look for many more from me in the months to come.

-sean

See less See more
#2 ·
Arima has a great PNW reputation.
I think that your conditions and the way you fish are important to consider. Heres something to consider: The what kind of boat do others who fish like you have? What are the pros using? What are the deep pockets using? That would be a good place to start.

#3 ·
Mako vs ?

Mako's are fantastic boats ( new or older ). The older boats I think are built a little better than the new ones but still the new ones are SWEET!

Look into a Maritime Pilot House or a 20D like I have. Lots of room but a little bare bones. Not necisarilly a bad thing since you can fit and trim according to your families needs. Sure the Mrs's will have some suggestions for you. The Pilot House has a small head as well as a little cuddy under the center console ( nice option for the kids and wife to get out of the sun ).

Another boat I really liked where Angler boats. Very reasonable new prices and seem to hold some value.

There are pleanty of deals to be had out there thats for sure. The boats I mentioned Mako, Maritime and Angler were the 3 that I looked into for quite a while. Was a tuff choice but in the end I went with Maritime for the same reasons that you mentioned. Room, Value, Re-Sale, Ease of Care.

Good luck in your search.

#6 ·
Sean-- The Angler boat you linked to (in another thread) looks pretty good. However, the one negative with fiberglass is weight-- it takes more power to push it and more juice to tow. Don't know what the tow rating is on your vehicle, but it should be substantial for a boat like you're after...

You asked about four-strokes. In a used boat, you'll get what's on it, but a couple of times I've purchased older boats with bad motors and re-powered. That is what I'm thinking of doing next time in my constant search for the perfect fleet. I've run four strokes of several makes and currently own two Yamaha fours on my current compromise boat. They are expensive compared to two strokes, and they're a touch heavier. Also the power curve and torque can be different from a two stroke. All that being said, I don't think I'd buy another two-stroke outboard. The reason is fuel economy and noise, not to mention the lack of a blue haze on start up. I will acknowledge from the start that there are two-strokes that equal and even surpass fours in economy and price. Evinrude (the Bombardier models) have tested to be across the board better than any four-stroke, at least according to the tech guys. The new Tohatsu/Nissan engines are supposed to extremely good in those respects as well. However, my gut feel says that four-strokes are the future, and anyone who buys a new two is buying a dinosaur.

Have fun, but be aware that boat shopping can become addictive.

Keith

#7 ·
Well I am about to purchase a toyota tundra and it should be able to handle anything I am looking at. That particular boat all tricked out should be around 4000 lbs so that will not be a problem.

I am kinda looking at aluminum as well but will more than likely stick with glass..

Thing is I am hearnig bad things about angler boats and thier customer service so I may have to look elsewhere. We will see....

-sean

#8 ·
One thing I did when I bought my Explorer 10 years ago was to call Ford and talk to a guy about towing with it. He made several recommendations beyond getting the standard "towing package"-- which he did recommend. The primary recommendation was to get a specific rear end that was better at towing than the general run. It took some hunting, but I finally found the right ratio (don't have a clue what it was now), and I've had no problems whatsoever after something like 120k miles, most of which was towing various boats over some pretty stiff terrain.

While I've run aluminum boats for more than 20 years, the one big gripe I have about them in this climate is the widespread use of carpet. If you do the salmon/crabbing/bottomfish thing for very long, carpet gets pretty ripe. The suggestion that I "run it through the carwash" is fine, but it adds an hour to every trip and it doesn't get the spunge out of the carpet. Nor does it do a good job of getting out the sand. Fiberglass boats with self-bailing decks are a whole lot easier to clean and smell a whale of a lot better.

Two aluminum boats that don't run carpet are Hewescraft (in Colville, WA) and Alumaweld; they use a rubberized mat that works well. Some of the Lund line doesn't use carpet in the length boat you're looking at also.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.