Fly Fishing Forum banner

Murphy's Law

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GregD 
#1 ·
As Murphy's law would have it the engine on the new boat pooped the bed with only 14hrs on it!!!!! Something went wrong on a recent re-con trip and we had to limp her home at 2500 rpms. Thats all she would put out. Nothing wipes the smile away faster than a sputtering engine.

#3 ·
Hi Mike,

Congrats on the new boat by the way, sorry to hear you have an issue with already. Hopefully it's a minor problem or oversight causing the problem. It can take awhile to shake things out,
especially with used boats like mine.

Good luck, hope to see you on the water soon.

Greg.

#4 ·
Just a thought....

We had a motor that would rev up above 1500rpm a few weekends ago. It would give thrust fine until then, then as you throttled up, it would "spin out", kinda like a slipping clutch.

Come to find out, it was a catch pin behind the prop that failed. Known as "slipping the prop". Simple fix, had to take it in and have a new plate installed. Much better than what we had figured, a lower unit problem. Is it me or is the lower unit really shaped like a giant $ ? :hehe:

Nick

#5 ·
Not sure

The engine is a New Honda 90hp! Supposed to be one of the better engines out there. Unfortunately I did whack the prop and bent it a little. The funny thing is it ran fine after the minor incident but the next day it ran fine until it was shut down and re-started it. I had a similar problem on my Nissan which turned out to be the plugs. I mean the exact same symptoms. I guess the dealer will let me know. I just hope the repair does not fall under the " Baby Zebra Clause " ( those who have kids and have watched Bugs Bunny may get that joke )

Question: What are the two happiest days of owning a boat?

Answer: The day you bring it home and the day you sell it.

#8 ·
Mike

Couple of thoughts from past experiences and questions.

What seemed to limit it's ability to go faster?

Are your fuel lines routed in a way that your load or something could have pinched them?

Once when I was up in Alaska in a brand new Lund with a Honda motor, we suddenly started having problems in some rapidly increasing waves and wind. It turned out once the tackle box hopped on the fuel line after hitting a big wave. It caused all kinds of problems fuel problems at the wrong time.

Took awhile to figure out we had a pinched fuel line.

Just a thought, Good luck.
Greg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.