Fly Fishing Forum banner

Temple Fork Outfitters

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ScottMisfits 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with these rods? I am looking at a new rod since mine is one my Dad made 20-25 years ago. I am looking at the Ti-CR series in the 5 weight, 9'0". I am going to buy the complete rod for now and possibly upgrade as I see fit. I am more concerned with the blank itself, rather than the attachments.

I am a rookie and I am not too sure what to look for in a rod but this seems to be the one, weight and length wise, that gets reccomended to me most often. The other one I am looking at is the St. Croix but this is a cheaper alternative. If it's comparable, I'll probably get it.

#2 ·
First of all, welcome to the forums!

TFO rods have been discussed quite a bit so you should probaby do a search to get more info. St Croix rods are always excellent quality (I own 3). What rod is best for you is tough to say. The TFO is a faster rod and less forgiving for a beginning caster, while the St Croix rods in the same price range are a bit slower and easier to cast.

#5 ·
since we are on the topic of TFO rods can someone who has cast a lot of rods please compare them to other brands?
I have fished and used a lot of rods: redington, st croix, fenwick, winston, orvis, T&T and sage... but have not fished a TFO. I cast one in the parking lot but thats been it. I havent seen what the hype is about, but i sure hear a lot about them. judging by nm's reply he thinks that they are over rated:razz:

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I did a search right after I posted this. I did find a bunch of stuff on them.

I also talked to a few of the guys that I work with that go to the same basic area as I am going and they said they liked their's. Probably 3 guys that I work with have them. I am going to try one out before I buy one I think but so far, it's the best option for me right now.

#9 ·
I talked to some of the guys at work that fish the same area's I'm going to be fishing. I also went in to my local shop, the one reccomended to me the most by a few people, and I talked to the guys in the shop. The shop owner is the guy I ended up talking with. I asked him about the type of rod I should be looking at for what I am planning on fishing. I didn't ask about a specific brand, and he led me towards the TFO rods. He pointed me more towards the 8'6" 5wt version rather than the 9', based on the information that I told him.

The biggest thing I liked about the shop I went to is that he actually took some time with me to explain his suggestions. I won't be doing alot of long cast's because it will be more stream's and small rivers. The shorter rod should be more accurate and not as easily tangled in any surrounding tree's.

Hopefully it will be the rod that I will like for a little while to come. It is a fairly inexpensive rod but hopefully it won't turn out to be a "cheap" rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.