Fly Fishing Forum banner

Antennas

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
Jez, did I spell that wrong? Anyway, I need to get a thing for my boat. Don`t want a big,old thing hanging round the boat, got one allready, me. For me shorter is better, the tallest part of my boat is the waist high console. Don`t need some 8ft long thing in the way of casting. Can`t I get a base loaded thing for my boat that won`t stick up to high?
Slinger

#4 ·
Steve,

One thing to remember with the VHF is that it is line of sight. That means the longer the antenna the better your range. I would agree with Bob in that a folding ratchet mount is the way to go for us fly guys. Since you don't have a grab rail going over your console you probably don't have enough room to get a 4' to fold completely down but you could probably get enough of an angle to keep it out of the way when not in use. Most of the reasearch I did said the 4' model from digital was the way to go and I have been pretty happy with the range. I have to admit that it hasn't been the issue I thought it would be when casting with it up. And it does provide a bit of a safety divider for two fly casters in windy conditions. No need to hook your partner in the cheek;) .

Sean

#6 ·
Best bet would be an 8' antenna but I hear ya on keeping it out of the way. I use one of the GAM electronics SS2 and it's been great. I've got it on a fold down mount that clamps right onto my grab bar on the console. You can check it out here - gamelectronicsinc.com/mini.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.