Fly Fishing Forum banner

Schoolie Abuse and/or Poaching

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Thanks to SSully for making the phone numbers handy, I figured I'd let my fingers do the walking.

Just got off the phone with Paul Diodati, who's the Director, Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Environmental Law Enforcement. We had a great conversation, but as you might expect, there's nothing they can do about "abuse via handling during release", which he sounded frustrated about as well. He mentioned that the new anti-high grading regulations are a step in the right direction since it's specific to striped bass but that this form of schoolie abuse has no regulation preventing it. They see it as an education issue (we do as well I told him).

They are writing up a "Proper Catch and Release" procedures pamphlet geared towards fish commonly caught on the east coast and are going to send them to me once they are finished (Dr. Mike Armstrong is the guy that's going to call me back as well to talk about best way to handle distributing these). He's also sending me the circle hook guides they put out to educate people about their use. My only problem with relying on circle hooks, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't circle hooks more expensive? That would dissuade most of these guys from buying them I'm sure.

They will also come and speak anywhere - but, as he even pointed out, it's preaching to the choir since the places that have him come talk are usually the best fishermen and already handle the fish with respect.

He said he can't recommend enough NOT confronting people who are you see abusing fish and I agree. It's dangerous, plain and simple. He said, however, if you see someone keeping under limit fish or over creel to absolutely use the 800 number. He also said that this time of year the officers are very busy with striped bass and lobster size/creel enforcement. He said esp. the lobster issue - that they hand out TONS of citations for that. I imagine it's easier to catch those guys (I'm guessing). Probably not enough "cops" to go around. But if it's a repeat thing (i.e., if we call EVERY TIME we see it) they will "stake out" and try to nail them.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the number set to speed dial on my cell phone for years now. Been tempted to confront, and been tempted to call - but so far it's been avoided. Some locations are more 'intense' than others, I tend to spend less time at these spots. Unfortunately they are typically the easiest locations to get to, oh well. We can also do our part by adhering to the best practices we can in our own approach.

I look forward to seeing the pamplets.

#4 ·
As one of the persons dedicated to the formation of the Cape Cod Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Asso., I would be interested in getting ahold of the information handouts to help distribute. Also, can someone post the 800 #, we should all be protecting the ones we love, (stripers,that is)

#7 ·
Excellent thread on the topic indeed!

I now realize that the places I fish most have a very low-incidence of abuse and violations. I've seen a lot of abuses in places I've been (I tried to hit every conceivable shore access when I moved back from the PNW) but bad experiences stick in the mind and I fish for quality experiences as much as the fish themselves. I've definitely gravitated to those places where just being there is as much of a reward as the fish themselves.

Thank God for spots like.... never mind ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.