Fly Fishing Forum banner

poaching wild summer steehead

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
Folks -

I copied the post below from www.ifish.net (an all-tackle Oregon Salmon and Steelhead board). The contents are pretty disturbing for wild fish... Has anyone else heard about this sort of thing? I can't vouch for authenticity, just shocked...

posted 04-24-2002 09:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, went to have a relaxing afternoon plunking at Meldrum. I did, for the most part. I was skunked, but did get see a guy bring in a nice hatchery nook. Then about an hour later a guy up from me hooks into a nice summer steely. He realizes what it is and hands it off to his nieghbor. They net it, slam it on the bank. Lo and behold its a nate!!! So I'm thinking that its time for a few choice words about treatment of nates. The first guy grabs the fish and hustles back to his truck with it. A few miuntes later he come back with it and it is missing an adipose fin.
I asked how he pulled that off, said he had a small laser that cut and cauterized it. I looked at it and if I hadn't seen the fish in the net before I would have said he was full of B.S. cause it looked like a clipped fin when he got done.

Paul B.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not fully up to date on the topic but I don't think I've seen a laser with the power to cut objects thats portable. Maybe it was one of the tools sold to cut gel spun line or weld rubber worms. They heat an element to ~ 3000 degrees F, that would be plenty to cauterize flesh.

Either way their use is disturbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.