Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon River quick trip Feb 17 & 18

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim Miller 
#1 ·
I was in the Pulaski area on business. After an all day meeting, I Got to the river 15 minutes before dark on Thursday evening. As I looked down at the pool, i could see that 3 of the 5 guys fishing were hooked up!
Rigged up quickly....Three casts...three fish on! Nirvana!!!
Too dark to see....too dark to fish.

I was staying overnight so I figured I would get back to the pool early Friday. So I arrive 1 hour before sunrise.....the freakin lot is full. Word was out and 50 degree temps brought out the masses. Walked into another remote spot and had the place to myself....but no fish! Oh well....at least I got to practice with the spey rod.
At 9 am it is time to head back to the office. Went by the scene of Thursday night...place was still packed with cars & fishermaen... but the fish were there in numbers.
With all the lines in that small pool...it was kinda sad...I'm sure many, many fish were foul hooked.

btw: Juro....the CND Solstice is pretty sweet! And the Hardy sings a very nice song. ;) Thanks for the advice!:D

#3 · (Edited)
GSeries

Setup 1 for Steelies/salmon
CND 678 Solstice 13'-4"
Hardy Cascapedia 8/9
Meiser Scandi and Skagit line systems w/ tips.

Setup 2 for Cape
G Loomis 13'-0" 8/9 GLX Stinger
Hatch 9 plus
Rio AFS Advanced flight Spey line (shooting head)

Now I just need time to use them to the fullest! :D

#4 ·
Jim,

I'll be in Pulaski April 22,23, 24 and maybe 25. Fishing a couple of days with Greg Liu and then on our own. Give me a shout if you'll be around and we can compare notes.

Hardest part I've found so far with the skagit line is waiting a second or two to let the line grab the water.

Those Hatch reels are something.

Joe

#6 ·
You got the video Too???
I have gotten both Skagitmaster vids and all the Henrik Mortensen scandi vids.
Todd we need to do a library exchange! ;) :D

Anyone else have cool videos and want to join the exchange program?

Joe
I will be up March 26,27,28. I would also like to get there in April. Hopefully Todd will be healed and ready to go by then too!
CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE CLAVE

#7 ·
Jumbo, Are you using the AFS Shooting Head with more than one density, or a floater with VersiLeaders? I'm asking because I plan to use a 2-handed more this year on the Cape. My plan is to use a Skagit Head with various tips, unless purely overhead casting. Overhead casting with a switch rod works pretty well withRio Outbound lines.

The Salmon River at the end of March, hmmm.

#8 ·
Hey Jim
I just got the GLoomis (used) and they guy sent me the floater Rio AFS line with it. I hope to use it mostly overhead off the beach or flats. Seems to boom out line.

With my other line systems (meiser) I do have zinc and versi tips/leaders that I suppose could be attached to the Rio to make it more adaptable? (fishing rips, deeper water and dropoffs)

I am all ears as far as to hearing about what you seasoned 2 hander guys have worked out and are using! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.