Fly Fishing Forum banner

Saltwater floating line recommendation?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
I'm going off the tip of the Yucatan in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for a great tropical floating 9wt line. I'm going to use it on the baby tarpon on my 8wt. TiCr. It has been recommended to go up one line weight. I've never used or owned a tropical line, so this is a new game for me. Your experience is appreciated. My casting abilities are probably only fair - I can get to 80 feet or so with 2 false casts, if it matters.

thanks.

#2 ·
Check out our Sponsors and go with RIO! They do a great line of tropical lines. For sight casting situations, speed and accuracy in the wind are more important than distance in most cases. If you plan to target Permit (and you absolutely should, the Yucatan is loaded with them), practice hitting a dinner plate with that 80ft cast and you'll be in good shape. :smokin:

I would certainly try the line before you travel. Get hold of a 9wt floater and try it in the back yard on your 8wt just to get an idea what it might feel like.

Have a great trip and please post a trip report with PICS on the bonefish board :D

#3 ·
Line for tropics

I have been using Orvis Wonderline for a couple of years now and it is great. Both the tarpon taper (quick loading aggressive WF taper) and the bonefish taper (not so aggressive, slower loading and much more delicate presentation - go up 1 line weight) will stand you in good stead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.