Fly Fishing Forum banner

tandem eel

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  broche 
#1 ·
I saw this in a book (Popovics?) a while back and decided to give it a try. I used a mustad 34011 and put a bend in it to accomodate both flies. I think I will go with a single when the fish arrive.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm still learning how to use this new camera and software. Here is a better image. I'll do the same for my other posts as well. Sorry about the crappy pictures the first go round. Constructive criticism is welcome, and needed (I'm always trying to improve!).

Attachments

#7 ·
Looks nice! I just got Popovics book and I'm planning to try that fly or a variation thereof. A couple of suggestions regarding the fly and photos.

The epoxy on the front fly looks like it extends almost to the hook point, where it may interfere with the hook set and/or break off when you hook a fish or try to remove the hook. It may be better to leave more room between the epoxy and the hook point.

As for the photos, the second photo looks much better than the first so you're definitely on the right track. I've found that the photos come out clearer if you move the camera a little farther away from the fly, even when using the macro setting. Don't worry about it if the fly looks too small in the viewfinder and in the original photo -- you can crop the image and the fly will get larger. Here are some more tips that may help: Use the macro setting (if you have that) and the center focus option, rather than the multibeam focus, and the highest resolution (pixel count) setting on your camera. If you can set the compression level, use the setting for the least amount of compression (it's the "superfine" setting on my camera). Position the camera about 12 to 15" from the fly (more if it's a really large fly!), using a tripod if you have one. Use a background that the fly doesn't blend into. Sometimes it's better to use the flash, sometimes it looks better to turn the flash off and use natural light. Try aiming the camera at the fly from different angles. Sometimes even a very slight change will greatly improve the appearance of the image. If you use natural light that is coming from above the fly you will probably want to position the camera above the fly so you're shooting down at an angle of maybe 30 to 45 degrees -- just rotate the fly in the vise to get a "profile" rather than an overhead view. Experiment! One of the best things about digital cameras is that you can try different settings, lighting, backgrounds and camera angles and see the results immediately. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.