Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spring Clave '09

10K views 84 replies 30 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
I know it's really, really early. I have a couple of guys that may attend but need to book way out. Do we have any ideas as to which weekend it will be?

#2 ·
Dave -

I'm going to propose May 30/31 weekend. Moon tides fall right on Memorial Day weekend which will put most participants out of commission, and earlier would be potentially be less productive than later if it's a cold spring, the extra time will also put more action on the bayside if migration is lack luster on the elbow... so the weekend after MD is the right choice provided we book accommodations early enough. So in that sense it's not too early.

#13 ·
Spring Clave

Hi Guys
Finally getting some pc time. Stuck in O'hare...., again!! Headed to CA for the week.
The 5/30 and 5/31 dates are great. Expect the usual "CA/NC Crew".
I'll tell Walt the dates. It should be great and all lacrosse coaching should be over by then!
Things are good in NC. I got married (re-) in November.
I had a good bowseason down here.
Fishing crews should be at the house from about mid-May thru Mid/end of June, so we hope to see some of you folks in W. Dennis.
I look forward to this year's clave.
Cheers
DK:chuckle:

#19 ·
How about day trippers?

I have been watching you guys do these trips for the last 2 years and wanting to get involved. Are you fellas open to people making a day trip down to fish with you?

I would really like to stop by and get in on the action but I could only get away with a day trip. With a 1 year old it would be hard for me to get away for a couple days in a row.

#20 ·
Day trips are fine for the clave, but the crown jewel is Juro's feast in the evening accompanied by your beverage of choice. The comraderie at this event is second-to-none. Unless you stay over, you may need a designated driver or taxi to get home.:Eyecrazy:

#22 ·
Been out of "the loop" for a bit - been dealing with family stuff. I really need to get back in "the loop", so hopefully can make this clave. Think I got out twice last year.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Did get to Puerto Rico this year and got hooked up with a 50 lb. Tarpon and a whole bunch of 4-5 lb. Jack Crevalles on a fly rod - what a blast. Two schools of Tarpon about 200-250 strong. So maybe this made up for what I didn't get to do last season. ;)

#24 ·
After several attempts to reach Stone Horse earlier in the season, I think the general assumption is that post-Memorial Day availability will be tough at special rates.

Many of us have found short-term rental cottages to split between members which brings the cost down to (or below) those we normally see before Memorial Day in hotels.

If anyone is interested in a cottage share, please reply to this post and let us know and we can share the intel.

#25 ·
A week or more ago I tried phoning (no answer), then sent an e-mail to Stone Horse re' a specific room. So far no response (and no phone answer today).
I'm not sure the Stone Horse is a dead horse, though. Given the effect the current economy is having on tourism, good deals on that weekend might well be possible. As a semi-retired old fart, I have some time available to chase this. If I am successful in postponing my March shoulder surgery until November, I would be willing (If it would help) to take the lead in organizing this year's Clave.

#26 ·
Spring Clave

Hey, VTL, that is a great offer! When will you know about that "shoulder stuff" and the scheduled date? It is unfortunate that there seems to be a migration away from the Stone Horse as the cook-out and fish-tales seem to be as much of the 'clave' as was the fishing.
If you could keep trying to contact Stone Horse and let everyone know when they are there then we could plan forward.

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.