Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hickory shad imitation (tandem and single)

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Hook: Gamakatsu SL12 Bluewater, 8/0 (6/0 for stinger)

Thread: Pink, 3/0

Tail: Three pair of white hackles with pearl flashabou and white bucktail on mono extension

Body: Pink Marabou and assorted colors of hackle (primarily white with accents of peach and lavander) with accents of white and pink bucktail

Body flash: Pearl flashabou

Throat: Pink marabou

Back: Long peacock

Eyes: Green 3D prismatic

The extension tail is made by securing a piece of 80 pound test mono between two vises as described in Pop Fleyes. Several such tails can be made in one sitting.

The first attached picture shows the fly (about 13") that I used with Phil in Mystic. It's a bit banged up, but it gives a general idea of how the stinger hook is placed (reverse snelled to the front hook with 50 pound fluoro). This fly still looks good in the water. The fluoro between the hooks and the mono tail extension prevent this fly from being rigid in the water. It kinda slithers along.

The second attached picture shows the same fly without a stinger hook, but with the mono tail extension. This unused fly is a good representation of what the first fly looked like before use in regards to color accents. This fly is about 8 or 9" long.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hickory Shad Imitation

Wow! Really nice flies, but I bet they sounded like a DC-3 going past your ear! :hihi:

Seriously, I can't wait for the chance to offer a few of my feeble attempts at shad patterns to the striped cows. You provide mucho food for thought. :cool:

Best regards,

-Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.