Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nesessaries Checklist

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
What are your valued necessities when using a yak and fly fishing? Here's what I'm draggin around.

Available at hand if not worn on my person:
1. PFD
2. Whistle
3. Knife
4. Compass
5. GPS

Stored in rear compartment:
1. Chest pack
2. Water & food
3. First aid kit
4. Towel & dry clothes
5. More spare fly boxes that I couldn't fit in my chest pack
(don't know why, only use 1,2, maybe 3 different flies)

Stored on deck or in deck bag:
1. Anchor & line (mostly to keep yak from drifting away when
wherever I am starts to flood)
2. Bilge pump (need to get)
3. Paddle float (need to get)
4. Charts
5. Fly rod, rigged & ready to go
6. Back up rod in tube
7. Stripping basket

Hmm... where's the kitchen sink go?

Anybody have anything else they think is critical?

Any way to reduce what I view as necessary items?

What do you carry?

Have a great day!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeff, I'd add a cellphone to that on your person list. I have a waterproof bag that works great. You can use the phone without taking it out of the bag. Program the number of HELP in advance. I have the Chatham coast guard and Plymouth harbor master in the directory with an A prefix so it's just a couple of clicks away.

#6 ·
OK guys.

You're missing my metaphysical drift here.;)

Being a self-proclaimed expert ;) , I don't need nor do I want you to tell me what I forgot;) ;) , I'm looking for your list(s) to assist some of our brothers and, hopefully sisters, fly fishing yakkers who may not of thought of everything like I have and always do;) ;) ;) ;)

#7 ·
Jeff, you have it covered... I know you mentioned a towel but Mine is one of those thin Solar type that fold into a little bundle... also the knife should be one with a flattened point so you don't stab yourself if there is an emergency... the blade is the usual one for cutting rope when necessary. I would also have a light...red or yellow pulse light for early morning or out in the evening... I wear it clipped to my life vest. MOST IMPORTANT... a hand held fog horn to blast approaching speed boats... I also have a pack of flares.... walke-talke that has a built in Weather report station... you know the guy with the arabic swedish accent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.