Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jungle Cock in the UK

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gary W 
#1 ·
Can anyone in the Uk give me details of anywhere that I can get a good quality jungle cock cape from. Most places I have found either sell small packets of feathers or the substitute which look cr*p. None of my local shops can get hold of it so it looks like it will have to be mail order.

Cheers.

#2 ·
Wilbert,

Glasgow Angling Centre sell JC Capes. However, capes vary greatly in number, colour, size, of feather, and I would suggest that mail order is not the way to go if you are particular about the colour and shape of feather you want.

I too have struggled to get capes at decent prices and quality over the last two or three years. The last cape I bought was very good quality and at a reasonable price; I got it from a seller on Ebay. The advantage of this was the seller provided a picture of the actual cape before I bought it.

#3 ·
Gary I have been looking on Ebay and there are some good capes on there but it is a slow process of getting one unless I want to pay well over the odds. I have been putting good bids on in the last few seconds only to get outbid. May try and contact some of the sellers and try to buy direct ??

#5 ·
Wilbert,

I know, it's a slow process buying anything on Ebay unless you want to put in crazy bids.

Unfortunately, to buy JC from a shop also means paying too much in my opinion. I've tried countless searches on the internet and drawn a bit of a blank on quality capes for a reasonable price.

You could try emailing the Glasgow Angling Centre to see if they could email you a photograph of the different quality capes they sell. I think the price ranges from around £25 to £50. However, I always like to select tying materials by hand to make sure I get what I am looking for.

I'm sure you've already tried it, but if you do a search for - "jungle cock" cape - on google and select the UK only box, you will find a few suppliers. However, they are not cheap and there is no guarantee of quality.

Like Juro said, Fishermans Feathers have a supply and I think they can be trusted on quality.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for the best capes for anything other than display flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.