Fly Fishing Forum banner

Loomis Slate/IMX blanks?

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
I am told that the Slate blanks sold in Scandinavia is the same as the old IMX blanks. Can anyone confirm this?
The reason is that I am considering bying one in 9f #4 or #5. I am being offered "Slate blanks" in Norway, but if I order what is called "IMX blanks" from the US, i`ll end up saving 50% of the price.
Another problem is chosing AFTM-class. I have heard that the IMX #5 is supposed to be great. Can anyone confirm this?

#3 ·
I have tested the GLX 4wt, and was very pleased. But unfortunately it is out of my "financial league". The price tag on the GLX is 1000US$-1200US$ in Norweigan stores. I`ll get a IMX 9`5wt blank for 130US$ from www.hookhackle.com, and the pleasure of building my first custom rod.

I need a nice rod for trout, arctic char and grilse. An alround rod for long cast in smaller lakes, but also for speying in tiny streams. The IMX disapeared from the Norweigan marked a few years ago, and I have little knowledge about the model.

#4 ·
The IMX disappeared from the US market when the GLX was released. However, since Shimano bought Loomis and discountinued the selling of GLX blanks, select models of the IMX blanks has been brought back into production for sale as blanks only. The IMX is still a very nice blank which I have no problem recommending to folks who are looking for a fast, progressive, smooth action rod. The GLX is just noticeably better, although much more costly.

You might be better served by the 9' 6 wt instead of the 5 wt though because it is better able to handle long casts and fish over 4 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.