Fly Fishing Forum banner

Status/Future of this board

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Friends,

With the new Outer Cape Board ablaze with traffic and rumors of a serious Reel Time relaunch(oh no not again!) I think it's time to step up to the plate and talk about this place. It's no secret that I like this board. It's been real fun to help get it going. I feel a bit invested in it.
Therefore, if we need to <i>modify</i> this board to assure it survives then it's time to reopen the discussion to the users. <b>I may be wrong </b>and if so the owner/admin can tell me and I will gladly close the matter. If so, it may also then be time to know the long term plan. Admin please let us know if we can start the conversation of what should go and what should stay once again.

TerryW (local bigmouth and busybody)

#2 ·
Terry,

All valid questions.

IMHO when the fishing reports start flowing it will be very time consuming to check out all of the available boards and various forums. I would rather be on the water.

Again IMHO FF limits the interest here. It seems kind of exclusive for the bait/lure guy to jump in and post.
Another factor is the drop in posts here. Just my .02

#3 ·
Terry, Sully -

Thanks for you concern and interest in moving this forward democratically. I started to write a very long explanatory letter to reply to your message but then realized it would be better for all to reveal what's going on behind the scenes on the phone. I'll be working on the 11 stories I have backlogged (while I worked my day job and went on the recent trip) to get some of them published during this weekend. Except for one casting lesson I am giving, I am glued to the tube this weekend.

Please click on my email icon and leave your phone# and a time for me to call (THIS APPLIES TO ALL MEMBERS) and I will try to return all calls. Sorry about this but the plans are just too sensitive to reveal on this board. Even more than my best fishin' spots!

Juro

#4 ·
One thing I thought I should clarify:

The Flyfishing Forum, albeit less than 90 days old yet, aims to be a Worldwide Flyfishing Resource and part of that is the discussion board. Lately, there has been background work going to advancing the site itself and other important thinking about where we're going and what we hope to achieve. Combined with the day job and a fishing trip to steelhead country, things haven't been updated much, and I understand your concern.

Even though the goal is to be of a global scope, there will be a lot of New England information on the Forum, heck yeah! It's as great a region for flyfishing as anywhere on Earth if you ask me. But it was never my intent to contend for the New England regional BB and fight with R/T and/or Jeff for local discussion volume. I clarified to many folks even before all this even started. But this is not to say the Forum is not a great place for fly fishermen (from New England or anywhere) to talk, meet good folks, learn a thing or two from others or teach something to a fellow angler once in a while. It does indeed intend to be yet another friendly place amidst the hundreds of millions of sites on the internet where you might feel at home. I guess after the recent fiasco the New England crowd has been looking for *a single* place to go... who could blame them after the split personalities and mayhem of the previous? Not I, but I do think that there is room for anyone who works hard for the cause on the internet, perhaps to *complement* each other's offerings.

I would like folks to feel like they can connect to the wide world of flyfishing through the Forum, as well as a unique perspective to their own regional area / fisheries. Despite recent appearances there is work going on to make that so. Guess I can't take a big fishing trip without losing a lot of ground
Seriously, I will keep plugging away and I appreciate the visits to the site. I think you will be pretty surprised at some of the developments that await release.

<center>*** VERY SURPRISED ****</center>

Let's get out and enjoy the claves, keep our eyes on the horizon, and try to make 2000 even better than 1999 (a hard one to beat!).

THANKS!

Juro

#6 ·
Been great talking to you guys on the phone, keep the numbers coming! I'm glad the plans sound good to you, yes they are aggresive but hey good things don't come easy. Your participation is the most important part!

Thanks for your continued support and I look forward to great times in 2000!

<center>

<font size="1">Copyright April 2000 Juro Mukai / Flyfishing Forum (all rights reserved)</font><!--1-->
</center>

#7 ·
Juro,
Count me in as another fisherman hoping for the best out of this board. As you know, I also spin fish. But, I totally ....100% accept this as a fly only board. No problem!!
I have not posted that much as a lot of the subject matter is out of my league. So for the next year or two, I'll be more of a taker than a giver of information.
I can only post so many "village idiot goes fly fishing" type questions.
Best of luck with the site...hope to fish with you soon.
Doug B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.