Fly Fishing Forum banner

SILVER VS GOLD

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  roballen 
#1 ·
Let's talk eyes fellows.

I've been receiving flies from some gentlemen over the border to try in my fly fishing excursions. I have one guy that is obsessed with gold bead heads & eyes, saying they work fantastic for fly fishing and their wonderful art of float fishing.

Has anyone ever notice their float fishing culture up there? They are fanatic about it, like fly fishing. Beautiful wooden floats, lovely hand tied jigs, expensive bad -ss centerpin reels and SAGE rods. It's a treat to see these guys in action and play with their handmade floats.

Anyway...

He swears by gold eyes and bead heads... I swear by silver. Just curious at what you all prefer.

G
#2 ·
As Tyler suggested in an earlier post, it's probably got less to do with what the fish like and more a matter of whatever you swear by, eh? :)

"give me silver, blue and gold, the color of the sky i'm told, my raiaiaiaiainbows, are overdue!"

bill

#3 ·
Flash probably has more to do with tricking the fish into thinking that the tidbit on the end of your line is not just some piece of inedible flora than it has to do with visibility. Moss don't tend to shine. If you start thinking color matters in beads you'll have one full flybox! Silver for bright conditions? Gold for somewhat cloudy? Copper for overcast? What about "black nickel"! Dang it, now they have fluorescent "hot beads" for discolored water! For the record, I tend to stick to gold, especially with black and peacock (gold bead crystal bugger user from WAY back), but use silver when I use a nickel plated hook, which is often (Tiemco 9394, Eagle claw 1197N, Eagle claw 60 degree bend jig hook EC 113). It's all good!

"Help me Jeevus"
Homer Simpson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.