Fly Fishing Forum banner

Battenkill midarbor, which model?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  amortdal 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide if going with model III (5-6 wt.) fishing with an 8 wt. line or possibly a 9 or 10 in the future would work out. And make up for the lack in backing using gel spun. Mostly it will be 8 wt. fishing. This model would be slightly lighter etc.

Has anyone done this? What is the highest wt. line that would really be ok to use on 5-6 model?

#2 ·
You may want to take the line to the shop and try it on the reel. I'd guess that you may have to cut off some of the running line in order to get it to fit. You may have to cut ALL the running line to get a 10 weight to fit on a III.

I've been looking at the Mid arbors myself for a 9 wt rod. (I'd have bought it by now but I'm being cheep.) I'll probably get the V.

Why are you considering an undersize reel? Weight?

#5 ·
I think you'll have trouble fitting the whole line itself never mind the line and a little gelspun. Take a line to the shop and give it a try before deciding.

I went by the Wilmington show this weekend and I was surprised at the size of some of the reels they had mounted on demo rods. They looked more like deep sea trolling reels than fly reels. They were HUGE.

Choose the most apropriate reel for the application rather than aesthetics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.