Fly Fishing Forum banner

San Juan worm

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
Hook: Scud, sizes 10-16 (here, a size 10)
Thread: 6/0, color to match body
Weight (optional): copper wire
Body: Ultra chenille

This pattern is great as a point fly in a two-fly nymphing rig. I like using the copper wire because it gives the fly a bit more weight to get down, and a little flash doesn't hurt.

Be sure to slightly singe the ends of the ultra chenille with a match or lighter. This cures the material and helps prevent it from unravelling.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Worms on a fly rod, Egads Martha, tie the cow to the fence so it doesn't fly away over the moon, What is the world coming to, imitation worms.

Actually, I first saw this fly back in 1981 in Montana when it was tied with either red or flame orange floss with a gold wire rib on a Mustad 37160 hook. then Tltrachenile hit the market and the 'worm' was never the same. It is a damn effective fly at the right time in the right water conditions. There are many a Bighorn River guide who made his/her reputation on the effectiveness of the San Juan Worm.

Just don't tell the bait guys that fly fishers are imitating worms.

#4 ·
Worms

Ahhhh yes, the Dirt Snake! The hottest two nymphs on the Missouri for us last two summers.....Dirt Snake and Lightning Bug. After an hour or so of this I have to switch to something else. The guilt is unbearable.:hehe:

How about the Big Pink Worm Fly for steelhead? Anyone tried one of these?

LR

#5 · (Edited)
This thread has taken an interesting turn. Although I think that most of the comments are made tongue-in-cheek, here's a few things to consider....

I know many bait anglers who use earthworms, but not the aquatic worms that these flies represent.

Some people harang these flies, yet have no problem tying some Globug yarn to a hook and fishing it as an egg pattern.

This fly is a great candidate for the simple but deadly swap that's coming together.....hook, wire, chenille......but it's no secret and won't be entered, so anyone who has issues with it won't have to worry about getting one. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Dirt Snakes Cont....

If you take ultra chenille in two varying colors and connect them to your rotary vice and you SPIN, SPIN, SPIN...until they begin to twist over on themselves and then let go of the one end so they twist all togetheryou can get a cool looking candy cane effect. Then use a little dab of head cement or super glue to hold the twist together. Purple/pink. Purple/brown. Black/brown. Tan/brown. Not that I would know or anything.
:devil:
How bout a dirt snake swap?:razz:

LR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.