Fly Fishing Forum banner

Canyon Report

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  striblue 
#1 · (Edited)
Took off on Saturday around 4:30 from Falmouth for an overnighter at Vtec Canyon (about 120 miles) looking for the white marlin bite. Three of us with an expected arrival around 11PM on a relatively slower boat (12 to 15 knots on a Peirson 30 footer, great boat with ample space). Geared up and we were rounding Cape Poge and on our way. Conditions started to get thorny since we were in 4 to 6 foot rollers all the way. By 9:30PM , and after a strong maduro cigar, I was wondering if I should have played golf. By 10:30 I was heaving ( I was asked before we left if I need any motion pills, and I said, "no way"). Chummed the water with a roast beef sub and felt better only to stagger down into the cabin to sleep. Camped out in the middle of the canyon and had a good nights sleep. We drifted about 3 miles during the sleep over. Anyway, one other guy got close to the ralphs but made it and we all rallied with rods in by 4AM. Two outriggers, two down riggers and a center long pole. Almost immediatly, we we into yellowfin tuna and I was able to boat a 120 pounder give or take, with the help of a gaff. One other boat out there was into some big Dorado and we seemed to be only into yellow fin. After the rods were cleared and put back we had an almost simultanious 5 rod kick downs and had to land three before two of us picked up the other two and ended up with all 5 landed , fortunatly less than 100 pounds. Two of us started trolling 14wt. fly rods short of the riggers and hooked up with some puppies 30 to 40 pounds each with some the size of big Albies, great on the fly rods. Then one of the guys askes his brother, the skipper ,to cruise by the high flyers, where the other guys were into Mahi, and wanted to cast into the high flyers and bouys. I said he was nuts blind casting out here. As soon as his fly hits the water, small mahi about 30 inchs hit the fly. That's another argument for structure .I jumped to grab my rod with pie on my face, and we start hooking only after I change flies from the thick tuna unqua to a sharp Gami. Lost several and we had to stop to start back. We bagged the marlin bit which was expected between 10 and 2 for the 6 hours back. Days toll, 12 yellow fin , 5 mahi... with three tuna and one mahi on ice...the rest released. Don't let anyone tell you you can't troll flies for tuna inside the big gear.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.