Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon River Saturday

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Miller 
#1 · (Edited)
This past Saturday I floated the Salmon River from Altmar to Pineville. My highly competent and knowledgeable drift boat captain was George O'Brian of Trophy-angler.com. We started out at first light to perfect boat conditions of 750cfs, no wind and a balmy 9 degrees. The day did warm up nicely to 32 degrees although windy later in the day. The propane heater in the boat came in very handy.

The first pool we hit was The Barrel a short distance down from the Altmar fly only section. The pool produced 5 pulls, 2 on and one landed. A nicely colored fish of about 8 pounds. We then moved into Schoolhouse Pool and had another 5 pulls, 2 on and one landed that was darker and a bit larger. This fish was a mild screamer with a number of jumps and longer runs. All fish took egg patterns or copper top stone flies on 6lb. and 4lb. florocarbon. No hooks were left in fish and the two captured were released.

There were no reports of very many fish being captured. None were bright fish in the upper sections of the river. If you are looking for the most quantity then go no lower in the river than Schoolhouse Pool. If you want to try your luck with bright fish then the Douglaston Run is the best bet. They are trickeling in and there were a few reports of larger bright fish acton there on Saturday.

All in all this being my first steelhead adventure I was pleased with the results. I learned a great deal from George and will definitely give it another try.

C.R.O.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.