Fly Fishing Forum banner

Further N Cali question: the Beaches

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  pcknshvl 
#1 ·
This would be N. of San Francisco....

Seeking general species availability--surf perch, kelp bass, how about west coast Stripers? Appreciate any input--I generally know flies/tackle, just need to know what to fly down with. In mid-May....

Thanks again!

Tom

#2 ·
I'm sure an anchovy pattern will get some kind of response out there! Good luck.

Hey does that rod throw a 9wt Rio Outbound? If you haven't tried that out you should :smokin:

I like the intermediate clear head / green running line best.

#3 ·
Hey p-n-s.

Lived for 12 years just south of SF before moving to Massachusetts. Mostly fished the beaches in the Monterey Bay area, but there will be some carry over to the more northerly beaches.

Wintertime, beginning in Feb and running to May or so, was my primetime for surf perch, with 50 fish days not uncommon....you are probably familiar with techniques for perch and what to look for on the beach). I would usually fish with a two fly rig, one a mole crab imitation, and the other a small, bright pattern looking like a shrimp....doubles were common.

Other species available includ halibut (same flies will work, though a small baitfish imitation near the bottom will work even better), and possibly stripers, though both of these tend to appear later in that time frame (ie getting on for May). In some areas you may come across some inshore rockfish or even Lingcod.

As far as locales, I will be of less help to you, as that was not my area. If I were heading out, I'd look for sandy beaches that faced at least a little south (less swell)...Limantour beach of Point Reyes Park comes to mind, or any of the bays (Bodega Bay for example).

Hope that helps.

Mark

#4 ·
I haven't tried an Outbound on it yet....

I think Rio should market just the heads as a 37.5' interchangeable system. I understand that part of the beauty of the existing line is the continuous connection betw. the head and running line, but short of Scando heads, I don't know of any other heads of that length with a taper that can turn over anything.

Rain here in Seattle sucks! We're all dying to fish....

Tom

#6 ·
Hey Tom,

I was under the impression that you had probably fished for them up your way previously.

I would recommend a fast sinking head for these little guys.

My favorite flies included a couple of Jay Murakoshi patterns: The Rusty Squirrel tail clouser (clouser tied with red squirrel tail) and the micro shrimp (hook shank covered with silver braid topped with red bucktail tied in front and back)

as well as my own mole crab imitation...a touch of bright orange in an otherwise drab pattern, with the orange representing the eggs of the mole crabs that are spawning in the surf.

Other patterns will certainly work...surfpercher red etc.

These fish can be surprisingly close to shore and shallow (with some saying that if you are in over your ankles, the fish are probably behind you). My general strategy was to watch the surf pattern looking for bars or holes, and fishing those areas intensely, skipping over less structured areas of the beach.

you might also check out Dan Blanton's website that will have a number of folks from that area who could give you more detailed info.

Jay also has a website that will give you pictures and instructions for his flies.

More than you wanted, perhaps, but couldn't resist.

mark

#7 ·
Thanks, Mark. A lot of what I know comes from Gary Bulla's web site (garybulla.com). He guides in S. Cal. and has a bunch of "Surf Reports" on his site, plus all kinds of fly patterns and so forth.

I know perch are available off WA beaches, too, but I just haven't made it out there.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.