Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Things" that make you say: "ALLL RIIIGHT!"

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  BobK 
#1 ·
Took the old Ford Exp. in to get it smogged for new tabs this morning. Fellow asks milage, and do this and do that.

Takes smog test and sticks his head back in the window and asks me to recheck the milage I gave him (146,669). Asked why the 're-check;' fellow told me the emissions were very similar to what he sees on two year old cars.

One more reason why I won't allow Joan to convince me to trade in "Old Baby" for a new(er) car.
:D

#3 ·
So they didn't see the hole in the exhaust pipe. :chuckle: :chuckle: I had one car that passed with no emissions due to that.

Fred cars have come a long way from what they used to be. My Corolla with similiar milage recently passd the dynamometer test here without a problem. And I know that it wasn't due to recent repair work.

#4 ·
My old Mercury Marquis with 130,00 had to be jury-rigged to pass inspection year after year back when I was in college. The ultimate was when the the Ebrake cable was fried and my dad and I used a contraption consisting of an old golf club and duct tape under the driver's seat to elude the inspector.

I think of it and laugh every year when I get dinged for $30 by the state of MA just to keep my car on the road :hehe:

#5 ·
Fred,

Back in the 60's and early 70's I saw my father go in the area of 250,000 to 275,000 before the car began using excess oil. He would then get the heads reconditioned with new valves, valve springs, rocker arms, lifters, and valve guides. Then he would drive it another 150,000 to 200,000 miles before getting rid of it. Dad worked for the railroad in Pennsylvania and more often than not had to drive 60 to 90 miles one way to get to work 5 or 6 days/week so the mile really piled up in a hurry.

His secret, changed the oil and filter every 2,000 miles, change the air filter every 20,000 miles, change the antifreeze and thermostat every year, a tune up every 20,000 miles, and have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles. He called these the cheapest autoparts you could buy. Remember this was with the technology of 40 years ago, and both engine technology, oil filtering technology, and lubricating oil technology have come a long way since then.

Only goes to show that if you service your vehicle at the so-called "severe use" intervals, they go a long way without major problems. I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 liter engine that just turned 207,000 miles, and I use less than an 1/8th of a quart of oil between the 3,000 mile oil and filter changes it has had since new. I'm very sure it would pass a smog test without a hitch.

#6 · (Edited)
I wish I had the same experience with my Explorer as you have had with yours Fred.

I purchased mine used after totalling a newer Honda Accord that wasnt the best fishing mobile but was very very reliable!!

I had half as many miles as your does...and I had nothing but problems with mine. To this day, I think they are evil!!!

This summer, I got lucky and managed to get out of my Explorer...purchased a '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport!...Smartest thing I have ever done!

#7 ·
Me too!

My ol' 94 Ranger is still running - I'll probably keep it ANOTHER
9 years. Still has the ORIGINAL battery in it, and works fine - even in the below zero temps. this winter. Even though a deer ran into it (and was killed), all that it has from the encounter is a single slight scratch from the deer's skull just below the headlight, and a barely visible slight wrinkle on the front fender! Now that's a great pickup.

Wish it had better traction in the snow, but studded snow tires make up for that deficiency!

BobK:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.