Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best 3 tying materials

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Ok I like to ask the hypothetical questions that get your brain thinking if you guys haven't noticed. :)

So...
If you could only have 3 materials to tie flies with for the rest of your life, what would they be? This excludes hooks, thread, bead/barbell heads, lead wrap, head cement, and basic stuff like that. And it assumes you could have the materials in whatever color you wanted.

My list would be:
1) Bucktail
2) Marabou
3) Hackle feathers

What would be on your list?

#2 · (Edited)
Slinger's list is simple

1- DNA
2- DNA
3- DNA

My list would not include DNA because I can get all the DNA flies I want from Slinger :devil:

And given that I already have enough long hackles to last 4 lifetimes

My list would have to be

1- Synthetic bucktail
2- Angel Hair
3- Flashabou

#5 ·
bucktail
superhair
hackles

Bucktail can be used for many flies that imitate baitfish or insects and can also be spun to create poppers or bass bugs. The superhair offers transparency, durability and the ability to tie large flies. I also use it to make weed guards. I haven't tried it but you could probably wrap it around the shank for bodies or ribbing as well. Hackles can be used in a variety of ways and also offer the ability to make large flies. In addition, the fluff can be used for marabou or dubbing, and the stripped quill can be used for bodies, legs, antennae or ribbing.

Q

#6 ·
1. Unique Hair....multiple colors available, glistens in the water with no need for flash material, well behaved
2. Flashabou...because I just can't seem to tie any fly without at least 2 strands or at least for head covering.
3. Peacock herl......great topping on any fly
Love naturals as well....but for endurance without sacrificing movement, can't beat this stuff.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.