Fly Fishing Forum banner

looking for a marina with a rack system

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
anyone know a marina on the cape that does boat racking? where they store your boat on the racks till you call and they put it out onto the docks for use the next day(preferably on the south shore)(or Narragansett bay) . I think I'll get more use from the boat that way.
thanks Tom D

#4 ·
Hi Tom,

There's quite a few.. Bass river, onset bay marina, east nauset marine, etc..

I did a google search with "cape cod marinas racks" and found a bunch.

Looks like it could cost you 12 bucks a foot each time you have it pulled and ready for use, and you pay to put it away I think too. It will run you some money if you use it alot. I also think the hull abrasions and dings will add up over time too.

If you plan on using alot for a week or two it might be less cost to just rent a transient slip or mooring for a couple weeks or a string of weekends. Nice thing about that is your not tied to one area so much. I only have so many days I can get out so sometime I fish in rough water and go for leeward sides or head to the sheltered Narragansett to fish when there's a gale blowing.

Greg.

#5 · (Edited)
well, it's a big deal to launch/trailer each time. if I could call and have it ready I'd get out alot more. this year my back's been out, but last year only got out 5 times. and my family got out 0 times...
I never heard there is an additional charge for the launching, etc...
I'm just trying to get out more, and most of the time I'm going to the south side of the cape, so that's where I'd prefer to be
I've never used a mooring except once on vacation on an island in Maine for a week, so I'd have no idea as to how to go about temp ones or permenant ones.

also I have a wife, hahaha, so waiting in launch lines and take-out lines, well, you know how that goes:confused:
Tom D

#6 ·
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the back being out, that does make doing things alot more difficult. The Onset Bay Marina has a price chart on line. I was hesitant to post a link to it, But it should be one of the first links with the google search. Bass river probably has theirs online too. Not sure about Nauset, depending on the location they might have tidal access restrictions on the inlet.

As far as transient slips it's pretty easy. Just call the marina your interested in and ask if they have one for the number of days your interested in. It's usually a few bucks a foot per night or so depending on the place.

Trailering is a pain compared to having a slip. It certainly has pluses and minuses.

Good luck, Hope to see you at the Boneclave again, looks like we'll have a better turnout than you and me last year.

Greg.

#7 ·
Tom,

Also sorry to hear about your back. Hopefully it heals up for the fall run. Best time of year to be a boat owner in my opinion. I see your point on the waits at the ramp. Part of the reason I like to be on the water 45 mins before dawn. Usually less crowded and you get to see some beautiful sunrises. For me the offsets to a slip that tipped it toward trailering where, flexibility of location, less corrosion issues, no bottom paint, and overall cost of a slip.

Sean

#8 ·
I know a guy who does the rack thing on the Bass river, loves it. He's got a Summer house on the river so I don't think the cost is as much of an issue as ease of use and storage. Basically he calls ahead or leaves a standing order and it's pulled rinsed and gased up for him, he steps off the dock and that's that. BTW - you may want to get an upper rack spot so the other boats are not dripping saltwater on yours.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm leaning toward Little River boatyard or Bass River Marina
Bass River is much cheaper... but a longer ride to get to my usual fishing spots
Little River is in Waquoit Bay, so it is more convenient to the Vineyard and the areas I fish more. A big part of doing this is to get my family out more, at this point my wife isn't too happy about the boat(she likes it when I take her and the kids out
(non-fishing days).
let's hear your opinions folks!!!

forgetting the $$$ , which would you pick?

I'd really would appreciate your input.

My Scottish blood tells me to go with the cheaper one

thanks, Tom D

#11 ·
Racking

How much is your time worth? How long will it take and how much additional gas will be used, going and coming from favorite fishing spots? Using the "less expensive" spot might end up costing more money! Is there much of a differance in travel time to and from either of the preferred rack locations from your base of operations? Playing "devils advocate" and asking questions, not giving answers.

#12 ·
NO PROBLEM,the more I think the better(hopefully) I'll do at resolving this.
I live in Sharon, so on a good day the ride to bass river is, say an extra 1/2 hour... on a bad day 1+ hrsthen the 20 mins to get to the mouth. then a good 20 mins to get over to where I wanted to be in the 1st place... hmmm I think I'm gettin the point:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.